Browsing: Crochet Tips and Tricks

Try Tobacco String Instead of Crochet Thread

When crocheting things like a bed spread, you can buy tobacco string and use it like crochet thread. It comes on a cone and a lot cheaper then the crochet thread. You can buy it at the stores that sell seeds and feed for cattle. The thread is cotton.

By Doris from Randleman, NC

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

You are so right. My grandmother used to use tobacco string a lot. The item holds up better also.

Why is it called tobacco string and what is/was its intended purpose? Just curious since I have never heard of it before now.

Thanks.

I am going to look for this. This is the first time I have heard of this. I love thread. : )

Roughly what does the tobacco string cost (at least, in a standard feed/farm store), and roughly how big is the cone? I enjoy working with different materials, and I think I'd like to try this out, if it's affordable enough.

Ball of blue yarn with crochet hook.
Crochet Tips and Tricks
Crafts CrochetApril 1, 2009
Close up image of crochet
Crocheting With One Hand
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
Crochet hook resting on striped crocheted blanket
Basic Crochet Abbreviations Chart
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 16, 2016 at 2:29:05 PM on 10.0.0.146 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.