Customizing Windows 7 OS

I have Windows 7 on my computer, it is an HP. I know there is a lot of stuff that can be deleted, but don't know what to keep or delete! I just use it for just everyday things. Help would be appreciated.

By meme7_2000 from Marked Tree, AR

I don't know if Iwould delete anything. I tried to delete somethings and ended up in a mess. Could'nt use the puter for the rest of the day. Shuting it down for the night and also restoring to an earlier time helped but now I have someone coming over in a few days to take a look at the puter.

If I may, I'd like to make a joke here and say, just delete Windows entirely and install Linux instead (since Linux is free, more stable, etc., than Windows, and you don't have to worry about viruses/spyware). Seriously, you would NOT want to do that, but I got so tired of Windows' problems, that I switched to Linux a few years ago. So I can't help but make jokes at Windows' expense, LOL.

Back to your computer. Being a power user myself, I would know what I'd prefer to delete, because I know which programs are truly unnecessary. However, not being able to see your computer, and knowing how big hard drives are nowadays--I would just leave everything as is. You should always back up your data (photos, videos, etc.) to media like CD's or DVD's anyway...if you do that, you'll hardly use up any additional hard drive space at all. Then, if your hard drive fails, you won't lose all your data. So do keep that in mind.

If there are desktop icons for programs you're sure you won't use, you can safely remove those by dragging them into the Recycle Bin. That way, the clutter is off your desktop, yet you have NOT uninstalled anything...icons are just links/shortcuts to those programs. And, if ever you want the icons back, you can always create a new icon. You'd just find the folder where the program's executable file (.exe) is, right-click it, and select "Create shortcut", or whatever terminology they're using in Win7. Then you'd drag that to the desktop.

I hope this info helps! :D

I tried to do that once because my computer was running slow and deleted something I should not have. I did a restore but still could not get this certain program back. I don't have that computer now but I would say to leave it alone too. Do as WildIrish suggests and get rid of anything on desktop you don't use to the recycle bin.

There is a site called pcdecrapifier. You just download the program and it gives you a list of stuff it recommends you delete but wont delete anything unless you agree. I would make a list of all the stuff it recommends and go to a pc savvy person and ask what they are and if you need them, then delete accordingly.

Computers SoftwareAugust 8, 2010
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows