Shoney's Strawberries and Bananas in Red Sauce

I would like a recipe for a fruit dish that Shoney's restaurant serves/served on its buffet. It contained strawberries and bananas and was one of my favorites. The dish was not a pie or fruit salad. It was sliced strawberries and bananas in a cold sweet red sauce. Initially I thought it was grenadine, but that was not the flavor I remember. Maybe it was intended as a topping for pancakes or waffles or pound cake, but I liked it just as a dessert.

We no longer have a Shoney's nearby and I would like very much to duplicate the recipe at home. Thanks.

By Bettie from Rocky Point, NC

Best Answer

Here is a recipe for the strawberry glaze that you can use to coat the strawberry/banana mixture:

GLAZE:

1 C water

1 C sugar

2-1/2 TBSP cornstarch

Cook glaze ingredients 'til thick. Add red food coloring.

NOTE: You could also add a small amount of strawberry extract too. Makes it tastier & I also use this extract to give my strawberries a little more flavor when they don't have much flavor. Enjoy, Donna

Got the glaze recipe from cooks.com

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for responding. The recipe I was looking for was posted by Poca. Thank you so much. I got the strawberry extract and have made the recipe several times. It is exactly what I remember eating at Shoney's. I have put the recipe in my cookbook.

It is the strawberry gel, in packets available in produce section.

I've never eaten at a Shoney's so, having never tasted what you're looking for, wouldn't have a clue to help you even experiment. What you can do is call a couple, or even three, of the closest Shoney's to you and ask for their manager. Let them know you aren't trying to find their 'secret' recipe but that it's too far for you to drive to their location and that you just would like an idea what the sauce/juice ingredients might be that are in the strawberries and bananas. Make sure you rave about how much you like it and that you truly miss that treat. If they aren't able or willing to help you then you could try calling Shoney's corporate office in Nashville, TN. (615)231-2333. Good luck in your search and please come back to your question here and post an answer here so that we'll know for future reference or to use for ourselves. :-)

My mom used to work in restaurants and had a recipe like you're talking about. I don't have it, but I remember her saying it was for pie and/or to pour over strawberries.

Check out these sites, maybe one will be 'the one.'

Doris

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,shoneys_strawberry_pie,FF.html

Strawberries and Bananas
Shoney's Copycat Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat DessertsMarch 8, 2011
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries
🎉
🎄