Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I would like a recipe for a fruit dish that Shoney's restaurant serves/served on its buffet. It contained strawberries and bananas and was one of my favorites. The dish was not a pie or fruit salad. It was sliced strawberries and bananas in a cold sweet red sauce. Initially I thought it was grenadine, but that was not the flavor I remember. Maybe it was intended as a topping for pancakes or waffles or pound cake, but I liked it just as a dessert.
We no longer have a Shoney's nearby and I would like very much to duplicate the recipe at home. Thanks.
By Bettie from Rocky Point, NC
Here is a recipe for the strawberry glaze that you can use to coat the strawberry/banana mixture:
1 C water
1 C sugar
2-1/2 TBSP cornstarch
Cook glaze ingredients 'til thick. Add red food coloring.
NOTE: You could also add a small amount of strawberry extract too. Makes it tastier & I also use this extract to give my strawberries a little more flavor when they don't have much flavor. Enjoy, Donna
Got the glaze recipe from cooks.com
Thanks everyone for responding. The recipe I was looking for was posted by Poca. Thank you so much. I got the strawberry extract and have made the recipe several times. It is exactly what I remember eating at Shoney's. I have put the recipe in my cookbook.
Many years ago, my husband and I had pizza soup at a buffet in a Shoney's. It was great and we were wondering if anyone might have a recipe for that?
By Misty L.
Easy Pizza Soup
two large servings
2-3 Italian sausage links
1. Cut the sausage into coins, moons, or dice. I like to make moons, then halve them. They look like little slices of pizza!
2. Heat some olive oil in a saute pan and brown the sausage.
3. Add the canned tomatoes and the pizza seasoning. Stir to combine.
4. Pour in the broth, then add the broccoli. It can be frozen or defrosted; doesnt matter.
5. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Ladle into deep bowls, then drizzle with a teaspoon of high-quality olive oil and a sprinkle of black pepper.
This is our favorite Pizza Soup recipe.
1 Tbsp. veg oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Saute the mushroom & onion in veg oil. Add rest of ingredients and cook til heated and flavors mixed.
Can top bowls of soup with mazzarella cheese if desired (I do not)
* I usually use half sausage and half pepperoni sliced cut in fourths.
My grandson just loves this. I have tried making it, but he says it's not like Shoney's. Anyone have their recipe? Thanks in advance if I can't find my way back.