Shoney's Copycat Recipes

Category Soups
Who hasn't enjoyed a restaurant meal and then wished that they could make it at home. Shoney's Strawberry and Banana dessert is a popular recipe to recreate at home. Finding copycat recipes is the best way to get a dish very similar to the one you liked. This page contains Shoney's Copycat Recipes recipes.

I would like a recipe for a fruit dish that Shoney's restaurant serves/served on its buffet. It contained strawberries and bananas and was one of my favorites. The dish was not a pie or fruit salad. It was sliced strawberries and bananas in a cold sweet red sauce. Initially I thought it was grenadine, but that was not the flavor I remember. Maybe it was intended as a topping for pancakes or waffles or pound cake, but I liked it just as a dessert.

We no longer have a Shoney's nearby and I would like very much to duplicate the recipe at home. Thanks.

By Bettie from Rocky Point, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Here is a recipe for the strawberry glaze that you can use to coat the strawberry/banana mixture:

GLAZE:

1 C water
1 C sugar
2-1/2 TBSP cornstarch

Cook glaze ingredients 'til thick. Add red food coloring.

NOTE: You could also add a small amount of strawberry extract too. Makes it tastier & I also use this extract to give my strawberries a little more flavor when they don't have much flavor. Enjoy, Donna

Got the glaze recipe from cooks.com

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for responding. The recipe I was looking for was posted by Poca. Thank you so much. I got the strawberry extract and have made the recipe several times. It is exactly what I remember eating at Shoney's. I have put the recipe in my cookbook.

Many years ago, my husband and I had pizza soup at a buffet in a Shoney's. It was great and we were wondering if anyone might have a recipe for that?

By Misty L.

Answers

Easy Pizza Soup
two large servings

olive oil
2-3 Italian sausage links
half bag frozen chopped broccoli
3 cups broth (chicken/beef/vegetable)
14.5 oz. can chopped tomatoes
2-3 teaspoons Pizza Seasoning

Directions:
1. Cut the sausage into coins, moons, or dice. I like to make moons, then halve them. They look like little slices of pizza!
2. Heat some olive oil in a saute pan and brown the sausage.
3. Add the canned tomatoes and the pizza seasoning. Stir to combine.
4. Pour in the broth, then add the broccoli. It can be frozen or defrosted; doesnt matter.

5. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Ladle into deep bowls, then drizzle with a teaspoon of high-quality olive oil and a sprinkle of black pepper.

This is our favorite Pizza Soup recipe.

1 Tbsp. veg oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 med onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 cup beef or chicken broth
1/2 tsp basil
* 1/2 lb mild cooked sausage (chicken or turkey sausage,for less calories) sliced.
1 sm can sliced black olives

Saute the mushroom & onion in veg oil. Add rest of ingredients and cook til heated and flavors mixed.
Can top bowls of soup with mazzarella cheese if desired (I do not)
* I usually use half sausage and half pepperoni sliced cut in fourths.

My grandson just loves this. I have tried making it, but he says it's not like Shoney's. Anyone have their recipe? Thanks in advance if I can't find my way back.

By Hlen