OdorsCleaning

Removing Rotten Fruit Odor from Wooden Bowl

I noticed an orange rotting in my wooden fruit bowl and can't seem to get the rotten smell out of the wood. It's finished wood with an engraving in it so I don't want to ruin the bowl with products. Any suggestions?

By Lindsey C from Holland, MI

Have you tried letting something like baking soda sit in it for a few days, and see if that neutralizes the smell? Vinegar is supposed to help with odors, but I don't know how long you want to keep your wooden bowl wet, esp. with vinegar.

Best of luck with your bowl. I hope someone comes up with an effective suggestion for you!

I would try baking soda or the powders that are made to sprinkle on carpets.

You are going to need to bleach it; not only for the smell, but for health reasons. Wood is porous, and the reason the smell is still there is because the bacteria causing the smell are in there.