Help Redecorating My Living Room

My whole house has burgundy carpet and all my walls are white with white borders. For my room I am going to do tan walls, but for the living room I have no idea what color would look good. I really wanted an orange living room but that would look awful with the carpet. Can anyone think of any other fun yet relaxed color to go with burgundy?

catsontag from Houston, TV

I think you could have a lot of fun with color. I love color myself but being in an apartment, I cannot go there. How about a nice blue? I think that would look awesome with the burgundy colored rug. The glory of paint is that when you tire of it, you can go on to another color.

I personally think white is just drab. I like the green idea by Diane as well.

Good luck

Teal or Forest Green or Hunter Green would go great, depending on the hue of burgundy. Go to some paint supply places and match the color tabs with the burgundy color of your carpet and see what you like!

If you or a friend go to the colour wheel there will be a complimentary shade in some kind of orange to burnt terracotta perhaps. There is a colour but that doesn't guarantee you will like it. Fortunately there should be an entire spectrum to choose from. First match the colour of the carpet with the wheel and then have fun.

Actually, I also have burgundy carpet in my living/dining rooms and used hunter green to go with it. I did this several years ago & have really enjoyed it. My mother-in-law had a dusty rose/pink solid carpet in her living/dining rooms and she, in turn, complimented it with burgundy. It was gorgeous! Just as a suggestion from experience, you might want to avoid using too much of the hunter & burgundy by also using some white or neutral colors. The reason being that both hunter & burgundy are dark colors & too much can be a bit overwhelming. Good luck & enjoy your project!

I had an apartment once decorated in burgundys, grays. plums, and mauves, and it looked beautiful!

What you need to do is start hunting for material, that has a bright color in it with burgundy/maroon. Make a couple pillow covers, and go from there. You just need a starter to work from, not a big piece. It will come much easier. Good luck. Furniture stores can help you there too, with all of their swatches.

HELP! I'm trying to figure out which color to go on the living room wall, the room is somewhat green hunter couch and plan on getting burgundy color rug to go with but the wall color? Undecided!

June 4, 2008 Flag

I need some help decorating my living room. My carpet color is a sage green, my walls are a light gray but at times it looks light blue. My couch, chair and love seat are a deep red with a contemporary style.

This room was decorated piece by piece and something needs to be changed. I am not sure what to do. The rest of my house is decorated in cool or neutral colors. I hate yellow or orange colors. Can you suggest what I can do to this room to make it look better?

Rachael from Ludlow, MA

Help Redecorating My Living Room

You could go back to plain white walls... that would make the red color on your furniture really POP!

Also changing a few things like throw pillows and window treatments/curtains can make a difference and don't cost a lot of money to make or buy. You could also make or buy small runners for your tables etc. to add a little zing. Changing lamp shades (color or style) can make a big difference and if you are in love with the ones you have you can always put your own beading or trim on them to give them a little something extra.

I have some other ideas, but this is all I have time to type up right now. Hope this helps! (01/11/2008)

By bjgould1213

Help Redecorating My Living Room

If you don't like white for the walls, you could go with a nice tan or taupe wall colour as well. Something a little deeper in tone. I would then use fabrics in sage, the wall colour and the red to bring it all together, including something in a print that has all three colours. The print will pull the different colours together.

Throw pillows covers are easy to make if you already have some pillows around the house and have the most basic of sewing skills.

If you don't like tan or taupe, you could also match the colour in the carpet and put it on the walls too, either in the same shade or a shade or two lighter, depending on how deep the carpet colour is. It will lessen the look of too many colours. Again, tie it together with the use of a fabric that includes both colours for pillows or a swag on the window, which doesn't even require any sewsing at all!

By Cindy

Help Redecorating My Living Room

I saw this in a doctor's office waiting area: a Persian type area rug was placed on top of a solid color carpet(the carpet showed around the edges). The furniture was solid color and contemporary style. The rug really set off the furniture and defined the waiting area from the rest of the room. Maybe you could try something like that, carpet and furniture stores always seem to have rugs on sale. Maybe a burgundy/dark green combination would be good. (01/12/2008)

By perfume and powder

Help Redecorating My Living Room

I think I would think nature. Go with a lighter green on the walls. You could add pillows and curtains with florals that include red, blues, etc. This would bring in a lot of different colors yet coordinate with the red & green without looking Christmasy. (01/14/2008)

By Dianne

Help Redecorating My Living Room

Take the carpet up and lay hardwood. It would take aways form the permanent color on the floor and you can chance out color by changing rugs, furniture colors, art work or even paint on the wall. I found it is much easier to decorate my home when there are more options that are within my budget. Yes, changing to hardwood would be expensive at the time, but is actually cheaper in the long run and you cna get whatever stain you please to match your taste. (01/21/2008)

By elizabeth

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceJune 4, 2008
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
Furniture in a Living Room
Arranging Furniture in a Living Room
Nicely decorated living room.
Living Room Wall Paint Color Advice
Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors