Eating Healthy at Fast Food Restaurants

Tips for eating healthy at food places. Is it even possible? Post your tips and ideas below!

Best Answer

I'm not a 'health-food nut', but here are a few suggestions: First, try to avoid 'fast-food' joints. There are many fast, healthy ways most people can do this. I start every morning (after half a pot of coffee) with two or three Tbsp. raw oat bran mixed well with a glass of V-8 or other veg. juice, followed by a good breakfast. By lunch-time I'm only a little hungry so I get by fine with a good salad (lots of peppers, onions, olives, tomatoes, etc.) If you must hit a fast-food joint try to find one with a good salad bar; Windy's used to fit the bill quite nicely and probably still does. A more thrifty option is to keep a large sealed container of home-tossed salad in the fridge (without tomatoes or dressing). Fill a bowl, add tomatoes and dressing, and you can be eating in less than a minute.

For dinner broiled or grilled fish, chicken, or whatever, with veggies works well.

Personally I'm trying to gain a few pounds so I like a large supper with lots of pork or rare red meat and trimmings, and I might still be eating at midnight. If you are watching your weight, or sugar, carbs, fat, etc. the previous suggestions might help. Also in that case take your evening meal early. Eating late is not very healthy. Good luck!

Best Answer

When I'm losing weight, it is always better to plan meals at home. But, I know there are times we must eat out. My husband is a minister, and we were visiting a church for 4 days. I figured on gaining weight with that much eating out, so I got my head ready ahead of time, as the old saying goes. I found out, if it's McD. or Subway while on the road, there is a way to stay with the veges. That is a rule of thumb when eating out. Try to stick with veges and salads. But, the dressing will really come back to haunt you. They tell me the dressing has almost as many calories as a Big Mac. So stick with low cal/ low fat or no dressing. When I tire of salads, I order broiled fish, chicken, or even a breakfast plate if you are at Shonies. Sides with your broiled meat are usually really good. One night I ordered a late supper breakfast, and left off the toast, and had the lean ham with my eggs and potatoes, it was a nice change of pace. You must have variety. I love the new deli sandwiches at Wendys, but, get them to leave off the fries. It seems like resturants are gearing more toward the "healthy eater" now. Wendy's and Subway are my favorite "quick" healthy meal out on the go. If I get somewhere with a menu, I can pick broiled meat and vegetables. Beware of and avoid all-you-can-eat buffets. I'm a big eater and that gets me everytime. Stick with measured out portions. Bob Evans has a GREAT grilled fish with some good sides, and a good salad. I was happy to see, I did not gain weight from the 4 days of eating out.

Choose grilled or broiled meats instead of fried and always order salad dressings and sauces on the side. You can also spilt an entree with your spouse or friend since portion sizes are always larger than average in most restaurants.

If you need to eat fast food. I think it is best to order kids meals. most of the time it's less calories and fat than even a salad after dressing. McDonald's has apple dippers in place of fries. If I am at Burger King I order the whopper junior no mayo, no fries and it fits into my weight watchers lifestyle.

Whenever we're at McDonald's, I order a side salad and ask for a piece of grilled chicken to be placed on top. They have 3 choices of lowfat dressing that you can put on yourself, but I tend to not use any. I have a glass of ice water to go with it and the whole meal is $2 plus tax.

In and Out Burgers serve their burgers "protein style" wrapped in lettuce instead of the bun, and skip the fries, of course. YUM

I tend to use the bun mostly as a meat holder. I tear away bits of the bun and usually only end up eating 1/3 of the bun.