Cleaning an Old Metal Meat Grinder

By Pam Strunk 6

I have an old metal meat grinder. How would I go about cleaning it so that I can start using is? Thanks.

Pam from Wichita, KS

Showing: Answers Sort

thr522587 Flag

Just soak in super, super hot water with 1 tablesspoon bleach per 1 gallon of water for about an hour and then wash well with soap and water in the sink or place on the top rack of a dishwasher ...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Most food grinders I have seen can be taken apart to be cleaned. The front part usually unscrews to expose the blade the meat comes through, and you should be able to pull out the blade as well. Just watch how you take it apart, so you can get it back together. Grinders have to be taken apart, as they can harbor bits of meat that would end up making you sick (that's why they make them able to be taken apart). You can always look for the brand name on it and check the internet for info on that company.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

It may have a little rust on, use an old tooth brush to clean in the little places. Don't let it soak in water long. Rub a little cooking oil, shortening on them, then wipe it off. Seasoning the metal. Old kettles, appliances, tools always did best when cared for with a little 'lard'ing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cheryl 1 1 Flag

Maybe a toothbrush and vineger?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary Lou 14 765 Flag

Try putting some slices of bread through the meat grinder to take off the surface rust inside the grinder

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

I am giggling from my toes ;-) Those old metal meat grinders would "maybe" rust if they've been left out in the rain for a decade or more ;-) I still have my mom and dad's old meat grinder that they received as a wedding gift in 1953 and, believe me, those puppies can take great abuse ;-) They're like the old Timex watch ads, "They take a licking and keep on ticking." :-) Die-hard cooks still demand them and they are still produced ;-)

Just soak it in the bleach and water as I mentioned below and then soap clean and all the bacteria and possible gunky build up of food particles will definitely be gone :-)

Oh, and chris t makes a good point about taking them apart ... I am glad chris mentioned it :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I haven't tried this but I remember older relatives talking about putting bread through the grinder to clean it. Hope it works!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Cleaning a Meat Grinder
Cleaning a Meat Grinder
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 23, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Using a Meat Grinder
Using a Meat Grinder
A rusty meat grinder.
Removing Rust from a Meat Grinder
Coffee Grinder
Cleaning a Coffee Grinder
Cleaning a Meat Grinder
Cleaning a Meat Grinder
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:22:31 PM on 10.0.1.31 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings