Gas Spilled on Laundry Basket!

I need help fast. I had to 2 full laundry baskets full of clean clothes and my sister's dog knocked a gas can over and gas spilled all over them. Now both baskets smell like gas. I can't afford a new wardrobe. Help quick!

M'LYKA from Shelby, NC

lestoil (should be available in either grocery or hardware stores) gets out many very difficult stains. i do not have experience with gas on clothes but it may help. please read the package instructions carefully. the lestoil smell is very strong too but generally comes out with one or two washings.

When my husband was a teen he worked in a gas station and his mother soaked his uniforms in whole milk to get out the gas smell. She has passed on so I can't ask for details but he said it worked.

Love & Prayers,

Use citrus based products -- something like Orange Glo all purpose cleaner. Fill a tub with lukewarm water and a substantial amount of Orange cleaner (can use a whole bottle). Let it soak over night. Next day, drain the water and put the wet clothes into the washer. Run it thru a cycle using about a cup of the orange cleaner. Run the washer through an empty cycle with a cup or two of the orange cleaner.

I checked the web. said to NOT put the clothing in the washer or dryer if it still smells like gas. My washer says the same thing so you should probably hand wash them in a wash tub or the bath tub.

I also found the following hint on a few sites so it probably works.

Gasoline On Clothing:

Since gasoline is an oil based product, use another oil based product to pull out the odor. You can use any kind of oil that normally washes out of clothing, like baby oil. Put a little of the oil into the washer along with the clothing that has the gasoline on it. Allow it to swish around for a little while before you add the detergent.

1/2 cup vingar in the rinse cycle may also help.

Love & Prayrs,

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryDecember 22, 2005
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips