Storing Pancake Mix

I bought some boxes of CarbSimple pancake mix which were already out of date. So far, the mix is still quite tasty and not spoiled. As this product is no longer manufactured, I want to keep them. What is the best method?

The mix is in a sealed plastic package in a cardboard box (like other pancake mixes). I was wondering if putting it in heat sealed shrink wrap in the freezer would help prolong it's life (Seal-A-Meal)?

I called the pancake customer service number and was told as they are already out of date, they would advise me only to dispose of the boxes. I told the clerk I can't as the mix was purchased from Albertson's grocery which is was going out of business and has a no returns policy.

Suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

dont over wrap it again, just freeze it in its own bag out of the cardboard box...will last forever, i've done bisquick mix like this for years....same diff,great bargain, girl

Just freeze it in its wrapper. It will keep for a long time.

Up until about 10 years ago or so, food products did not come with an expiration date. We just used our judgement.

freeze em

Holly, if the mix is still okay at this stage, I would be inclined to make up the pancakes and freeze them, instead of the mix. Good luck.

My response is the same, freeze it unopened, but once you open it put mix and instructions in zip lock bag and freeze up to 6 months.

freeze as is until you open box; then refigerate as you use it. It will be fine for long long time

it cannot get wet because it's frozen or refrigerated and that would be the only problem

I put all mixes in the freezer anyway if I have any as I am paranoid for any bugs and such coming because of them. I did not quite understand your one paragraph though:

Just did not make sense to me but that is okay. Hope by now you figured out what to do with it.

:)

I just read an e-mail which stated that you should throw away all out of date pancake mixes as well as cake and other mixes. The reason--toxic mold can develop in these mixes and can kill people who consume it..

Freezing dry goods prolongs their life and does not change the consistency or taste.

Check out http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

I personally would not keep expired pancake mixes, frozen or not. Toxins can form which can be deadly.

Is saving a few cents worth losing your life? I suppose you could put the pennies saved towards your funeral--they are plenty costly.

DRY ICE - I've read my share of "survival" type books & the one thing that keeps coming back is Dry Ice... What the dry ice does is take out the oxygen. Oxygen is what spoils food. Dry ice also kills any bugs or tiny bug eggs you can't see. It's no fun opening dried food you are looking forward to eating & finding tiny little "critters"!

---> You simply fill your container, then add a few pieces of dry ice on the top. Close the container & the dry ice will melt displacing most of the oxygen.

Here's a URL with more explicit directions:

http://waltonfeed.com/self/upack/dryice.html

--------------------------------------------------------

The above URL tells you where to buy dry ice, how much to use, etc, etc.

I just looked under "dry ice" in the yellow pages. (we used it to keep popsicles frozen to sell at kids baseball games)

If you have the freezer room, by all means freeze it, if not, use the dried ice method.

I have a better safe than sorry theory about food, I recommend you do the unthrifty thing and pitch it.

Just wanted to share this with everyone...

I never heard this before but just in case...

>

> Pancake Mix I recently made a batch of

> pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our

> pantry. He said that they tasted "funny," but ate them anyway. . . .

> With so many people shopping at warehouse-type stores and buying

> large sizes of pancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to

> check the expiration date on their boxes. Also, beware of outdated

> cake, brownie and cookie mixes. PASS IT ON!!!! This is

> TRUE--Check it out! http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/pancake.asp

You should never eat expired pancake mix. If you do, don't give it to your children. It's like playing russian roulette.

Food and Recipes StorageFebruary 25, 2007
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
Oatmeal Pancakes
Oatmeal Pancake Mix Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
🎉
🎄