This morning I used Milton to soak a vinyl padded high chair cover that was stored for about 1 year and came out covered with mould/mildew (black spots all over the fabric trim.) The mould is gone, but the down side is that even though I tried to only soak the trim, the padding inside the vinyl is saturated.
How do I dry it? It is at the moment sitting in the sun, and I am wringing it out at regular intervals, as best as possible, but there is no way of knowing if the interior is properly dry! Please help with some suggestions. I can't afford a new highchair at this point!
By Sera1980 from Sydney, Australia
Hanging the pad in the sun is your best bet. I would turn it every couple of hours, so the damp spots get rotated. It will dry, eventually, but it may take several days.
The thing that worries me most is that their were mold spots on the seat fabric to begin with so most likely there is also mold in the padding. Is it possible to simply remove the seat pad and throw the pad and fabric away and maybe recover it with new padding and material or place a small pillow for your child's extra comfort? Mold can be dangerous and something your child really shouldn't be around. :-(
Thanks for your feedback, girls. I have hung it in the sun for a few days, and the water seems to have drained out. It dripped from one corner for for the first couple of days, and on the third seemed to dry from within.
Deeli, The milton should have killed all the mold spores, both inside and out, but I will watch the cover VERY CLOSELY for any reappearance. Mould is yucky and not good for new baby's lungs, that's true!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!