Use Tide for Stains and a Cheaper Brand for the Rest

With the ever rising costs of keeping clean and clean laundry, I tried to come up with ways to cut costs in every part of the house (I guess that's why we are tuned into "Thrifty Fun"). For doing laundry I have always used Tide.

If you pour Tide straight onto a stain: grass, blood, chocolate, baby stains, the stain will come out. I measure out the amount for the load, then with the pile of stained clothes, I pour the Tide on the stain and toss it in. The key is that the Tide has to be on the entire stain. Then wash as normal. This works great but, Tide is expensive and seems to go up every time I go to purchase some.

So I decided to purchase a cheaper brand (I use Arm and Hammer liquid) and use that for towels or blankets or the things that normally don't have the stains. This has saved me quite a bit of money since I started it about 18 months ago. Thanks for listening.

Do you use liquid or powered on the stain?

Hi Beth-

Great tip! Even tho I'm a Sr., I can't seem to go a full day without messing up a shirt...Ugh! I'm going to try this.

thank you for the tips. sue

I use about seven squirts of Palmolive dishwashing liquid or any other dishwashing liquid in the washing machine...bec I used to do handwashing with it and it works there too and is more safe for my hands. I hate the way socks come out in the washer so I put them in a bucket in the tub filled with shampoo and hot water.. and soak them all day, swishing the water around with a brush.every time I go in there, and then later I rinse and dry a little, until no longer dripping and then throw them in to dry with the rest of the stuff. I can't stand regular detergent since it is so harsh on skin and I have chemical issues with an autistic daughter.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 25, 2008
An office with modern interior design.
Brand Name Ideas for Interior Design Products
Coffee Cup
Buying Kroger's Brand Coffee
Woman Grocery Shopping
Who Makes Store Brands?
Generic and Name Brand Tomato Sauce
Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand