Who Makes Store Brands?

Many name-brand manufacturers also make store brands for retailers such as Walmart and Sears where they may be sold at a lower price. Depending on the product, it may be specced differently, for example using cheaper parts. This is a guide about "Who makes store brands?".

Fisher Swanson0 found this helpful

When staring at the numerous different brands of products and their prices on shelves at the supermarket, you have to ask yourself: Is one product really better than another? Am I paying for product that tastes better? The truth is, in many cases, you are paying for advertising and packaging. Personally, as a consumer, I'm tired of paying corporations advertising bills.

If you go to the bulk section of your supermarket, you can buy numerous products for nearly half as much than their well advertised and heavily marketed counter parts. In fact, I have found that many bulk products taste better. If you are a person who tends to reach for the most expensive items because you feel they have a higher quality, I would recommend a blind taste test. More often then not, you will find the only real product difference, is the marketing.

Does everyone know that RAGU actually makes Wal-Mart brand spaghetti sauce for $1.00 a jar (it's very good)! And with the recent recall of Peter Pan peanut butter, it became apparent that PP makes Wal-Mart's peanut butter also. Do people have other info about specific products, store brands and who makes them?

Marilyn

Answers

The Target brand diapers are Pampers at least they used to be, i still think they are though. Most mac and cheese is produced in the same factory and packaged differently. And Thermasilk by Helen Curtis is made by Suave. If you want to find out more research the companies on the label try to find the parent company then you will know.

I studied marketing in college and most companies will make the same product and sell it differently some to big fancy stores and some to dollar stores. Either way they make a buck. Check out this link for more info on branding.
http://en.wikip  ki/Generic_brand

Both my husband & I'm sure that Target's Market Pantry Salsa is the same as Pace Picante Sauce, which we totally adore.

At Walmart, McCormick makes the Store Brand Spices; you will save so much by purchasing the store brand spices. My daughter was a Walmart Associate in the grocery department when she was in college.

Can anyone tell me who supplies Walmart's "Great Value" Hazelnut Coffee Creamer?

Thanks

By myrajbell (Guest Post)

We are regular shoppers in Krogers and several years ago, up popped kroger Mayonnaise on the shelf "Made by Hellmans." After a couple weeks the "made by Hellmans" disappeared and it was just Krogers Mayonnaise. I recently purchased some Hellmans that was on sale, took it home and compared it. I sure couldn't tell the difference. They tasted identical to me.

My next-door neighbor's son is a Mobil oil distributor, he says Wal Mart's store brand full synthetic motor oil is the same as Mobil 1. The difference in price is about $4 per quart. I don't know about the other store brand motor oils Wal Mart sells, just the full synthetic.

By REBECCA (Guest Post)

Can anyone tell me who makes Presidents Choice Infant Formula? I was told it was actually made by one of the name brands.

By Grannie (Guest Post)

Post By REBECCA (Guest Post) (01/22/2008)

Hello Rebbecca, I don't know who makes it, what I do know is that a friend of mine that is pharmacy school and will graduate in one year, used walmart's brand of baby formula for both of his amazingly smart infants. He told me that ALL infant formulas are basically the same, that they MUST meet federal requirements. my grandchildren are breastfed, but occasionally, when my working daughter doesn't pump enough milk for the babysitter, they use walmart formula. All of my eight grandchildren are healthy and smart after being breastfed and using store brand formula.

By sheena baker (Guest Post)

can you tell me what they,ve done to the( great value ) coffee creamer brand??? i,ve used this brand for 10 yrs, atleast, in the past 3 months, its changed it doesnt make your coffee light any more, & i havent changed my coffee brand so i blame it on the creamer, now i have to put 6 teaspoons of it in my coffee, have they taken something out""

By Anthony (Guest Post)

PBM Nutritionals makes PC and Wal Mart formula. THey're based in Vermont. I've included a link to their site.

http://www.pbmp  PBM_Nutritionals

By Carol O. Sherbeck, R.D. (Guest Post)

Recently my associates and I taste tested peanut butters. The group conclusion was the Target product was most preferred. Who manufactures this product for Target?

Several years ago, I went on a tour at Anderson's Pretzel factory in Pennsylvania. They make pretzels for many different companys, including Slim Fast. The only difference was that the Slim Fast pretzels were in teeny tiny packages. I buy Anderson's pretzels at Dollar General and Walmart.

By ASD (Guest Post)

I work for a trucking company that does a lot of loads for many companies and I've learned over the years that many store brand items are indeed made by name brand manufacturers but packaged in "cheaper" formats. For those of you that are asking who makes Wal-Mart's creamers, many of them are made by HP Hood in Winchester, VA. Sam's Choice Sodas are made by Cott Beverages. Most store brand vegetable oils are made by Lou Ana, a division of Ventura Foods. Ventura also manufactures Hidden Valley Ranch dressings, as well as the store brand versions sold in Wal-Mart, Aldi, Target, Winn Dixie and most grocery stores. Benson's Bakery as well as HC Brill make most "Grocery Store Cakes" that you see in the round containers in the bakery sections of grocery stores. Many turkeys you see in the grocery stores during the holidays are the work of Cargill Meats. Store brand apple products such as apple juices and apple sauces come from Bowman Apple in Mt Jackson, VA. Pilgrims Pride supplies Publix with their deli chicken. There are countless other manufacturers that I work with but this is pretty much all that comes to mind at the moment. BTW many store brand medicines sold by Target, Wal-Mart, Dollar General, Freds, Kroger, etc, are made and/or distributed by Perrigo Pharmacuticals.

~ASD

By Georgia Dawg (Guest Post)

The Flowers Bakery makes a lot of store brand breads. The store brand bread for Walmart and Ingles is the exact same as Nature's Own except the store brands have thinner bags. This is at least true in the Southeastern portion of the country.

By erick (Guest Post)

Autozone motor oil is made by exxon; so same oil, different bottle.

By Tracy (Guest Post)

Who makes the Market Pantry ice cream for Target?

I used to be an Estee Lauder Beauty Associate. I found out that J.A.N.E. cosmetics is under the Estee Lauder brand. JANE can be found at drug stores and places like Walmart and even some grocery stores. I use their eye shadows, and lip gloss. Decent product for the price.

Target brand version of ensure is the same thing so ensure is 3 dollars more then target brand and same thing and same exact bottle also walmarts brand in can is same as ensure to

Anonymous

Who makes Great Value Parboiled Rice?

Who makes their brands, specifically soups and broth?

Answers

Best Answer

One of Safeway's brand distributors is by far the largest known. It is Lucerne Foods. This is one of the store brand manufactures for Safeway. The rest of the store brands are manufactured at the same manufacturing company as other store brands use. They are called Store brand manufacturers. They are companies that large chain supermarkets go to to have their private labels added on cans of food.

In truth, there are thousands of companies that have hundreds of different categories for large chain stores to select from. The market selects it's product and the manufacture will add the label to this product and send it off to the store. So you see these are also generic store brand manufactures.

So if you buy one generic brand from Safeway, it is possible if you go to Vons and buy their generic brand they both come from the same Store brand manufacture. Only the labels added to the can are unique and the food in the can is the same for everyone who orders from them.

Who produces Target's Market Pantry ice cream?

By Anonymous from Chicago, IL

I would like to know what store brand mayonaise is really Dukes or is made by Dukes?

Who makes Kroger self rising pizza?

What bakery makes the bread for Winn Dixie?

Who makes Southern Home mayonnaise?