Things to Do With Kids in New Orleans

My husband and I are planning a vacation to New Orleans for a week with our toddler and teen. We've never been there and aren't into latenight partying and drinking. I've heard there's lots of things for a family do, but wondered if I could get any ideas or tips from you guys.

Thanks!

By JW

Check out the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium.

It's been a long time since my last visit, so I couldn't tell you the cost of these things.

Look online for coupons.

We love the WWII Museum on Magazine Street. Your teen may enjoy learning about life here and abroad during the war, and I've yet to meet a toddler who wasn't fascinated by tanks and trucks, boys or girls! They have a reenactment film that is hosted by Tom Hanks, very cool, but not for your toddler, very loud and quite frightening at times, very much something our teen boy l7 last summer still talks about.

Oh, and don't forget the beignets! Yummy!

During the day there is the whole french quarter. Jackson square, moon walk river walk cruises on Mississippi river, Aquarium, Zoo, WWII museum, voodoo shops, antique shops, great food. I grew up here. It's not as bad as you've heard. Bourbon St.'s the night life during the day not so much, almost forgot you can take the street car from downtown through the garden district see the old homes. Ann Rice's one that is a replica of Tara, it's cool.

Try the Audubon Zoo. My kids and I went there with relatives (before Katrina) and had a ball. I can't tell you what or if any of it has changed since Katrina, but it was a wonderful place to visit for people of all ages. I actually rode an elephant, my daughter refused the ride. :-)

You can take a tour, (use only guided tours, for reasons of safety), into a cemetery with all raised Crypts. Not morbid, just very interesting, and lots of history involved. Do use a guide, as this is a place where muggers like to hide out and approach visitors. Below is one site to give you an idea of what you would see. Of course the zoo is awesome, and the aquarium is wonderful also.

www.experienceneworleans.com/deadcity.html Loretta, from So. Alabama

Contact the Lousiana Tourist Bureau and they will send you many, many, pamphlets about what you can do in New Orleans. Don't forget to take your camera tho since it is a very picturesque city. Enjoy!

Travel and Recreation TravelJune 27, 2011
A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
A child putting coins in a donation bucket.
Teaching Kids About Holiday Giving
New Orleans Pralines
New Orleans Pralines Recipes
🎉
🎄