Reviews Of Sleep Number Bed

Does anyone out there have a "sleep number" bed? What do you think of it? Is it any good for reducing severe back pain? Thanks.

Catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

I'm 40 years old and disabled due to chronic degenerative arthritis of the spine. I went many nights with no sleep, because even with pain medication, I just couldn't get comfortable.

The sleep number sounded like it could help.. so I bought one.

The change was incredible! Some days I need firmer support and at a touch of a button, I have it. Other days I need a softer mattress...and I have it! The new sleep number air pump fits right under the bed - out of sight- and it's so quiet! I've had mine for two years now and could never go back to a regular mattress. My mom liked mine so much, she just bought one too!

Meddie....could you tell me what size you bought? My 30 year old son has degenerative disc disease in his spine...he is 6 feet 5 inches tall and right now sleeps in a king sized bed...as these sleep number beds are (to me, anyway!!) quite expensive, I'm wondering if the queen size would be good? Thanks for replying!!!

My husband and I recently bought one for our 25th wedding anniversary. We looked at the demo in a Sleepnumber Bed Store, but the bed that arrived at our house had a different motor. The one in the store was much smoother and quieter. Also, when we took the bed apart to send it back, I was amazed at how much like a cheap, adjustable mattress that it looked like. The bed did, however, help my back pain, but I just could not justify the cost for the product recieved. I don't want to bad-mouth a product that probably tons of people have bought and been very happy with, but for us, this was not money well-spent. We sent the bed back, and bought a Tempurpedic mattress, and have been very happy with it.

My husband and I belong to Direct Buy (best investment ever). We loved the Sleep Number idea. Direct Buy doesn't have a relationship with the Sleep Number company, but they have MANY other vendors. We went to a Sleep Number store and tested the quality, construction, price, etc. Through Direct Buy we bought a better quality, superior construction bed through the supplier Innomax (Luxury Support Comfort System). We bought the bed for $800 (a serious fraction of the cost). The model we chose beats the top of the line model at Sleep Number.

The comfort factor is great because I'm pregnant and comfort means different things different days.

Good luck in your shopping.

I've never owned one myself, but just visit either of these two sites before you spend any money. I did, so I'm still looking for the perfect mattress for my bad back. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/select.html

or this site, http://www.complaintsboard.com/comp ... -comfort-sleep-number-bed-c2801.html I found that a firm "plain" mattress with a memory foam topper works well.

You need to check into warranties for the air pump that gives it the level of comfort (softness and hardness).

A friend of mine has one of these beds and loves it. Might have required special sheets.

I did not go with the sleep number - way out of my price range. I searched for "memory foam" beds and wound up getting a bed on eBay of all places. I bought it from the "Bed RX" store and LOVE it! The only con was it comes in layers. The foam is in different densities that you stack and comes with a cover to hold them as a one piece mattress. You only have to do it once so its not that big of a deal. They also have 75% off sales; I was lucky and got a queen for less than $400. I have had it for 6 months and sleep like a baby....and I didn't need a mortgage to buy it.

We bought our Sleep Number bed several years ago and love it. We did replace the foam pad last year with a memory foam like Tempur-Pedic which gives us the best of both beds. I wouldn't sleep on anything else and when we travel, look for hotels that have Sleep Number beds.

I have one and really like it, but I don't have back problems. However, my Mother does, she is 84 and she too has degenerative disc disease, with several fractures, also arthritis really bad. She got her Sleep Number Bed about a year ago and it has helped her sleep tremendously, the first night she slept on it she slept in until 12noon the next day and she had never ever done that, her normal wake up time was 6:30 to 8:30am.

My husband and I looked into getting a Sleep Number bed to help with my back pain. He discovered a company called Comfort Aire (http://www.comfortaire.com/) that does the same thing (in fact, they claim the Sleep Number company founder is a former employee of theirs who "appropriated" the idea). They sell basically the same product for a lot less money.

The bad news is our wonderful adjustable air bed did nothing for my back pain. It is a nice bed, though.

Dh and I love ours. We've had it for about 2 years. I virtually never wake up sore anymore.

I hated ours. I tried all of the numbers and could not get comfortable. It felt good in the store but you only lay there for a little while. I had back pain in that bed that I'd never had before. It is downstairs in my basement in a big plastic bag. I have a foam one now and like it except it is a little bit warm to sleep on, but I sure feel better. My chiropractor tried a sleep number and said it was terrible, she hated it and got rid of it too. I didn't know that or never would have bought one.

My husband & I decided to buy a Sleep Number bed because he weighs about 100 lb. more than I do and we prefer mattresses with a different firmness.

We have said many times that it was money well spent--neither of us have had any back pain since we bought our bed about 4 years ago. The ability to set each side differently is a big bonus for us.

I got soooo sore sleeping on the slab that my DH insists his back needs. After 2 yrs. of sleeping on the couch in self defense, I bought a sleep number bed on eBay @ a quarter of the cost as the sleep number store. We can once again share the same bed in comfort!

Good luck!

PS-RUTH, Please contact me if you want to sell the one bagged up in your basement! Email: igait at hotmail.com

Post By Ruth (Guest Post) (08/08/2008)

I bought one for back pain several years ago and wish I had got a regular bed. A physical therapist recommended one with the very best pillow top or euro top they are sometimes called. He said Spring Air is very good. Wish I had gotten that.

I think that it just depends on each individual. My husband & I both have severe back problems. We bought a sleep # bed and it didn't seem to affect my husband either way but I could never get comfortable on it. It felt like I was on a stretching rack being pulled apart!

I have never been able to sleep on the portable air beds either so you might try one of those first. I know they had the deal that you can return the bed after so many nights if you don't like it but shipping is expensive. Hope this helps.

We have had our Sleep Number bed for five years, and I consider it one of the best investments we ever made. My husband likes a very soft bed, I like a firmer bed. I no longer wake up with sore joints after replacing our old mattress with the Sleep Number bed. Also, The Sleep Number bed cuts way down on allergens in the mattress (since it is air-) and my husband really noticed that difference.

Sleep number beds look great in the commercials. I bought a sleep number 5000 and it causes my back to hurt. My back was fine to begin with. Dual mattress cause you to sink toward the lower setting side. The insert between the two is very uncomfortable. I've had the bed for a week and will be returning or burning it.

I've been sleeping on one for over 5 years and will never sleep on anything else.

We purchased the 8000i model of the bed. It is just OK. We went from a standard king bed (Stearns & Foster brand) The Sleep Number Bed is 6" shorter in length! Good thing my husband & I are shorter than average. I think these beds are extremely overpriced for what you get. The reason this company is so successful is because of the advertising upon advertising upon advertising.

Has anyone tried a tempur-pedic?

Consumer Advice Product Reviews FurnitureAugust 6, 2008
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎄