Thin Mint Cookies

These taste as close as you can get to the thin mint cookies that is everyone's favorite of the Girl Scouts.

• 1 (18-19 oz.) chocolate cake mix (I used devil's food)
  • 3 Tbsp. shortening, melted
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp. of water (I found I needed to add extra water)
  • 3 chocolate almond bark squares (6oz.)
  • 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract (see note below)
  • 1 Tbsp. shortening

Sift the cake mix and flour together over the mixer bowl. Add the shortening and the egg and mix well. Dribble the water in and let it mix until the dough forms. Add the water JUST till it forms into a ball. Take the dough out and form into an 8 inch round. Slip in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.

Set the almond bark, extract, and shortening over a double boiler on low heat to melt. (A small heat-proof bowl over a small pot with a little water will do.) Heat your oven to 350 degrees F and line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. (I use freezer wrap or butcher paper to make for easy clean up). Cut with desired cookie cutter (I used a 2 inch round) and place on cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Slip some wax paper under the racks and drizzle cookies with peppermint glaze. Allow to set (mine took about an hour). I got about 50 cookies out of this dough.

Note: I didn't have the pure extract but had the imitation extract so I used that. I think you would be safe in adding a tsp. of the imitation or perhaps add a 1/2 tsp. to the cake mix and 1/2 tsp. to the chocolate.

Servings: 50
Time:2 Hours Preparation Time
8 to 10 Minutes Cooking Time

By laniegirl from IA

I love thin mints & this sounds like a good recipe, think I'll make some for the kids & grandkids! Thanks!

mint cookies on plate
Mint Cookie Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies FancyAugust 20, 2010
Vanilla Ice Cream With Mint on Top
Recipes Using Mint
Mint Brownies
Mint Brownie Recipes
Canning Mint Sauce
Canning Mint Sauce
No Bake Chocolate Mint Cookies
No Bake Chocolate Mint Cookies