Lentil Stew with Fried Mint Sauce

"Adasi" is a Persian lentil stew that is very hearty and comforting. It contains lentils and cinnamon, both which are proven to stabilize blood sugar. I like to make a huge batch of this because it keeps well and is traditionally eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It also makes a fantastic dip. Here is my recipe for this lentil stew, along with my favourite topping for it, fried mint sauce. The mint sauce is not necessary for the Adasi, but you will want to try it at least once, believe me!

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a pot over medium low heat.
  2. Add the onions to the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until very soft. Add the turmeric and cook for a minute.
  3. Add the soaked lentils to the pot.
  4. Pour in the stock and raise heat to high.
  5. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. Add water if it gets too thick. When it has the consistency of oatmeal, add the cinnamon, salt and pepper to it and stir.
  6. To make the fried mint sauce, add 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and 2 tablespoons of dried mint to a small frying pan over medium heat.
  7. Stir frequently and remove from heat when garlic starts sizzling, before it turns brown, about 1 minute.
  8. Drizzle the mint sauce over the lentils and serve.

Sounds amazing! I can't imagine combining some of those flavours but am certainly going to give this recipe a try. Thanks for posting, Toosa!

You're welcome, Rose Anne! I always love your ideas for adjustments/substitutes so if you try this, let me know how it works out for you! :)

I doubled the cinnamon and turmeric...oh, my was out of this world!

Spectacular!!!!!!!!!! So happy you tried it!