Stretching Butter With Oil

Stretch your butter budget and make it a little healthier. Save money on buying butter spreads. Make your own and know what those ingredients are that are in it!

Cut back on saturated fat and use much less butter on your toast and muffins by softening 2 sticks of butter to room temperature. Then put the whisk attachment on your stand mixer (I use a Kitchen Aid).

Start whipping those two sticks of butter while you slowly drizzle one cup of vegetable, olive, or canola oil into it. (Your choice of oil). I like the canola because olive oil adds it's own taste to the butter. Canola oil leaves the butter tasting like butter.

Scrape up the sides now and then to incorporate all the butter into the oil. Whip until light and fluffy. It might look like a light cake batter when it's done. Pour it into individual containers with lids and refrigerate until needed.

Use for frying eggs or sauteing vegetables because the oil raises the burning point of the butter and it won't burn as easily. It's delicious on toast, English muffins or crackers. It stays soft right out of the refrigerator. Try grilled cheese sandwiches. The butter just glides across the bread.

I hope you try this. My nutritionist was thrilled when I told her about this.

By Deb from Williamstown, New Jersey

Thank you so much for this idea. I was at Wal Mart today reading ingredients on all the spreads and ended up buying an expensive brand of whipped butter because I didn't want all those unhealthy additives. Now I will use your idea and, like you said, I will save money and know I'm getting the ingredients I want.

Did you ever think about the plastic that's melting off the container

March 15, 2010 Flag

You can stretch your butter by making it into a butter spread. Use 1 cup warm water, 1 cup light olive oil, 1 tsp. granulated lecithin (let water and oil mix and found at health food stores.) 1/2 to 1 tsp. salt according to taste. Let butter soften first. Mix water, salt, and lecithin granules. Add oil and butter cut into smaller pieces. Blend together with mixer until smooth. Store in smaller containers in fridge. Will harden with refrigeration but is very soft if left out. Good Luck

By Carol

Answers:

Stretching Butter With Olive Oil

This recipe stretches the butter a bit and makes it spreadable. Cream one pound of room temperature butter with a mixer. Add a little more than 3/4 cup of olive oil, a small amount at a time; and mix with butter. Whip to blend completely. You can adjust the amount of the olive oil. Store in covered containers and refrigerate. This softens in about 5 minutes at room temperature. (04/01/2005)

By mkymlp

Stretching Butter With Olive Oil

I have been making "Olive Butter" for over a year now. I do mine in a mini food processor. I mix half and half....one cup room temperature light olive oil and 1 cup butter cut into pats, and at room temperature. Just put all in the processor bowl and whiz until smooth. Pour into a plastic container with a lid. (An old margarine tub, perhaps) This give you the great taste of real butter while cutting the saturated fat and replacing it with the "good" fat of the olive oil. And with this mixture, it is spreadable right from the fridge. But if you don't return it to the fridge, it will become "pourable". Much healthier than margarine.
Harlean from Arkansas (04/01/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Stretching Butter With Olive Oil

I make it simple. Add enough olive oil to butter or margarine to make it soft (11/21/2005)

By minymont

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
cooking oil
Stretching Butter With Oil
Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyMarch 15, 2010
3 sticks of butter.
Saving Money on Butter
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎉
🎄