Substituting Oil for Butter in Recipes

Category Substitutions
Many cooks can substitute cooking oil in recipes that call for butter with little change to the original recipe. This is a page about substituting oil for butter in recipes.

My husband and kids all loved the boxed macaroni and cheese, but I've never been a fan of all the fat and calories in it. I always used skim milk in the mix, but cutting way back or deleting the margarine/butter gave the stuff a noticeably blander flavor they didn't like.

Then I discovered that if I use olive oil in place of the margarine in the sauce (I add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to 2 boxes), it gives the mac and cheese a much better flavor. My family loves it, even I like it and I don't feel so guilty when I don't make it from scratch or my kids want to fix a box for lunch! As they say, fat always adds to the flavor. In this case, it really does add to the flavor, only it's a healthy fat.

I've found that this works for any other box mix that calls for margarine/butter, such as stuffing mix (which I never liked either), mashed potato flakes, etc. The olive oil brings out the flavor and adds a fullness to it. I like the flavor of the olive oil. You almost don't miss the flavor of the margarine/butter. But if you do, you can always add a dab of it or use a butter substitute.

By Judy = Oklahoma from OK

I have heard you can swap canola oil for the margarine/butter in a cookie recipe. If a recipe calls for 1 cup of margarine or butter, how much oil would I use in it's place? Thanks!

By Shirley from MI

Answers

Best Answer

I'm not sure where I got this information, but here is what I have:

Butter/margarine = Oil
1 tsp = 3/4 tsp
1 tbsp = 2 1/4 tsp
2 tbsp = 1 1/2 tbsp
1/4 cup = 3 tbsp
1/3 cup = 1/4 cup
1/2 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
2/3 cup = 1/2 cup
3/4 cup = 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
1 cup = 3/4 cup

For types of oil to use - Olive oil is the best choice because it is 77% monounsaturated (the "good" fat.)

Extra virgin olive oil - meets exacting taste and aroma standards - Use for dressings, marinades, sauces & for basting meats & drizzling over soup and vegetable dishes.

"Pure" olive oil - all-purpose cooking oil for grilling, sauteing, stir-frying and in pasta sauces.

"Light" or Mild olive oil - is olive oil with just enough extra virgin olive oil added to give it a light flavor and color.

Can I exchange oil for butter in a box cake recipe?

By Cherrie

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I have used oil but used less oil then butter or margarine worked well.
Marcia

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMay 21, 2018
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Substituting-Oil-for-Butter-in-Recipes-1.html