Saving Money on Butter

Many shoppers are always on the lookout for ways to save on their food costs. This is a guide about saving money on butter.

Butter is one of those budget busters but it doesn't have to be. Around the holidays butter is often priced at its lowest. So how can you take advantage of this?

Ever since I was a kid, my mother would buy butter and freeze it. If you know how much butter you or your family uses each month, you can plan to buy it only when it is on sale and freeze the rest. I have saved anywhere from $30-40 every six months just by doing this.

So what is a good price for butter? In the Southeast, a good price is about 2$ to 2.50$ a pound. Regions can vary but the sale times are always similar. Look for your local sales to occur around Christmas/Thanksgiving and then again around Easter in the spring. Buy and freeze about 6 months worth and soon you will be saving on butter too!

This is a guide about stretching butter with oil. There are butter spreads on the market that combine butter with various types of oil, such as olive oil. You can save some money by making your own blended spread.

cooking oil

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Tips for saving money on butter from the ThriftyFun community.

Whip Butter To Make It Go Farther

Whip your butter after softening it at room temp. The air will make it go further, or combine equal parts butter and margarine and whip together so you get the flavour and stretch the spread.

Post by Thriftmeg

Whip Margarine With Buttermilk and Oil

You can buy the cheap block margarine, soften to room temp, whip with 1 cup buttermilk, 1 cup canola oil and 1 tsp. butter flavoring. Good stuff and you end up with about twice as much margarine that tastes like butter, spreads easy and better for you.

By KellyCajun

Whip With Olive Oil

Whip it with olive oil. It will be softer and easier to spread too!

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

Buy On Sale And Freeze

So many different qualities of butter, some of us call any form of bread spread "butter". Anyway, they can all be gotten on sale, often without a limit. They all freeze well. Shed Spread comes in 3# containers, I put into cup sized tupperware containers. I buy salt free for some recipes, store brand for others, for my own desires and diet musts, another brand not meant to bake with (olive oil/canola mix, sunflower spread, etc) But they all freeze. Some whipped will have excess of water content, that's what the whipped factor is about. Just drain your container. Doesn't hurt anything.

By Joyce

Costco Has Great Butter Prices

The cheapest place I have found to buy butter is at Costco. You get four boxes (four sticks each) for about $7.00. That is where I always buy mine. I take one box and put it in the fridge and put the other three in the freezer. Then I just take out each box as needed and put in fridge. Also, watch at your local grocery stores for sales on house brand butter, but it's still not quite as cheap. Also, if you are in the military and have a military base in your town, purchase it there. It is about a dollar or two cheaper than Costco. Never compared prices at Sams, but Wal-mart grocery stores are always less expensive on items than your regular super market. Good Luck and God Bless!

By Recyclequeen'

Buy Bulk Butter

If you are planning on baking and need a lot of butter for your recipes, a good way to go is to buy bulk butter. I have seen them in 1 lb. cubes at Costco for cheaper than the regular package (4 cubes = 1 lb.).

By Jess

Butter, Not Margarine

I love butter. I never use margarine. I watch for sales and buy it up when it is cheap. It is affordable if you only buy it on sale and freeze what you will not be able to use in the next week or two. Make sure you put it in an ziplock bag so that it doesn't pick up smells. Stores usually have it on sale before any major holiday. If you have dietary restrictions or use it for baking, buy the unsalted kind.

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Post your ideas below!

Answers

Great idea. I always use butter, even for baking.

It is against regulations to buy from the commissary if you are not in the service. You could cause a lot of trouble for somebody if you ask the to purchase it for you.
tdgranny2
usaf wife

Editor's Note: We have changed our article. Do not ask military people to buy for you at the commissary.

I agree. Do NOT ask a military person to get you anything on a military installation. It can cause more legal problems than you can imagine. On top of that, those are benefits EARNED by those that sacrifice so you can go to Costco, live on soil that is free of blood shed and affords you all the other freedoms. Sorry, my blood is boiling over this. Some soldier could end up losing their rank, being forced to move off of post, losing commissary privileges and more. DO NOT ASK A SERVICE PERSON TO RISK THEIR LIVELIHOOD!

Granny KNOWS!

We only use butter in our household. It's what I was brought up on. Margarine tastes BAD! Anyway, I always watch for sales or I get a pkg of 4 or 5 lbs at Sam's Club and freeze. We use butter up fairly quickly so putting 1/2 a dz or so lbs in the freezer works well for us. I put a whole or half stick out at a time in the butter dish and leave on the counter. I have never had butter to go bad. As I am writing, I am enjoying a leftover biscuit from last night that I ran through the toaster and put butter and honey...yum....nothing like the taste of butter!

Oh and I've never found much difference in different brands. Butter is butter so I buy whatever brand is a good price.

Sam's Club has even better prices on butter than Costco. It freezes really well, also. It doesn't pick up odors in the freezer and when thawed still tastes the same.

Many grocery stores have great sales on baking products and butter before major holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Buy in bulk and freeze until needed.

Anonymous

Actually, I found Walmart to be more expensive and purchased butter from Wegmans consistently less expensive by .50 cents a lb. Lando lakes is almost a $1.00 more at Walmart.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Have you ever hated trying to get the very last of the margarine or butter out of the tub? I have been doing this for years, but never thought to share it. When I make instant mashed spuds, corn, or anything that I want to enjoy with margarine, I sometimes find the tub is almost done with too little even for a spatula. So, I simply set it upside down on the top of the pan and let it melt. I get the last of it, and it's easier to wash and recycle. Hope this helps!

By Poor but Proud from Salem, OR

Tub of butter upside down in saucepan

Comment Like this photo? 4