Healthy EatingFood Tips

Replace Margarine with Olive Oil in Recipes

My husband and kids all loved the boxed macaroni and cheese, but I've never been a fan of all the fat and calories in it. I always used skim milk in the mix, but cutting way back or deleting the margarine/butter gave the stuff a noticeably blander flavor they didn't like.

Then I discovered that if I use olive oil in place of the margarine in the sauce (I add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to 2 boxes), it gives the mac and cheese a much better flavor. My family loves it, even I like it and I don't feel so guilty when I don't make it from scratch or my kids want to fix a box for lunch! As they say, fat always adds to the flavor. In this case, it really does add to the flavor, only it's a healthy fat.

I've found that this works for any other box mix that calls for margarine/butter, such as stuffing mix (which I never liked either), mashed potato flakes, etc. The olive oil brings out the flavor and adds a fullness to it. I like the flavor of the olive oil. You almost don't miss the flavor of the margarine/butter. But if you do, you can always add a dab of it or use a butter substitute.

By Lyonpridej from OK

We replace all butter/oil in our recipes and when frying with coconut oil, doesn't change the taste and the kids love it when I make rice crispies with Coconut oil.

That's a great idea, especially since margarine is full of salt and icky stuff! Olive oil is at least better for you!

Anonymous

A woman after my own heart! Isn't olive oil just the best, lyonpridej, and it's so much better for you than any other type of oil (it's number 1 on the list of healthy oils) :-) For those who don't use olive oil or don't like the heavy flavor of full flavored use extra virgin olive oil instead.

Deeli - yes, I love olive oil, especially after I learned how good it is for you. I use it almost exclusively. I've even used it as a butter substitute on vegetables & my family doesn't know the difference. I've learned that it's really the taste/texture of the fat that makes it taste better, not the butter taste itself.

I like the Smart balance butter blend for toast & stuff, but with 5 of us eating it, the tubs are too expensive. So I buy the sticks, let them soften, then whip them with olive oil to make my own soft spread.

I know they are saying butter is better for you than margarine now. Sure goes against everything I was taught. I was so happy to hear that & gladly began eating butter, sparingly. May be coincidence, but now my husband & I both have a problem with our cholesterol - so I've quit with the butter again just in case.