MiscellaneousCleaning

Cleaning a Painted Door

My pantry door is painted black. When I try to clean the fingerprints off it with a damp rag or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser it leaves a white film. I've even tried furniture polish. I'd like to find something that I can use on a daily basis to keep this door clean!

By DB from Trabuco Canyon, CA

Try using diluted (about 50/50) distilled white vinegar. Throw it in a spray bottle with some water. I use it on my windows without any residue.

I am sure it will do the same for your door. If there is residue, or you notice your paint coming off (never tried it on a painted surface) try diluting even further. like 30/70 mix. Vinegar has some serious cleaning capabilities. And it is much more inexpensive and versatile than other cleaning products.

Try formula 409. I use it to clean my pantry door. Fingerprints do seem to leave a greasy film and the 409 cuts right through it.

Murphy's Oil Soap. It is liquid, and designed specifically to be gentle on wood furniture. It is what I use to clean my varnished oak cupboards as well as my hardwood kitchen chairs. Follow directions on the bottle, and repeat until you get a nice clean finish, remember "more" is not better.

Anonymous

I've always had luck with simple dish soap, water, rag and a tiny bit of elbow grease for painted cabinets and doors ;-) Anything else is going to affect the paint color or strip off the paint. :-(

Why not add a coat of polyurethane to it, then it will clean up easier without the white film?