Cleaning a Painted Door

My pantry door is painted black. When I try to clean the fingerprints off it with a damp rag or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser it leaves a white film. I've even tried furniture polish. I'd like to find something that I can use on a daily basis to keep this door clean!

By DB from Trabuco Canyon, CA

Try using diluted (about 50/50) distilled white vinegar. Throw it in a spray bottle with some water. I use it on my windows without any residue.

I am sure it will do the same for your door. If there is residue, or you notice your paint coming off (never tried it on a painted surface) try diluting even further. like 30/70 mix. Vinegar has some serious cleaning capabilities. And it is much more inexpensive and versatile than other cleaning products.

Try formula 409. I use it to clean my pantry door. Fingerprints do seem to leave a greasy film and the 409 cuts right through it.

Murphy's Oil Soap. It is liquid, and designed specifically to be gentle on wood furniture. It is what I use to clean my varnished oak cupboards as well as my hardwood kitchen chairs. Follow directions on the bottle, and repeat until you get a nice clean finish, remember "more" is not better.

I've always had luck with simple dish soap, water, rag and a tiny bit of elbow grease for painted cabinets and doors ;-) Anything else is going to affect the paint color or strip off the paint. :-(

Why not add a coat of polyurethane to it, then it will clean up easier without the white film?

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousAugust 24, 2010
Red Exterior Door
Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture