Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Can I Glue New Laminate Over Old Laminate?

0EmailPrintFollowSave

We are updating our laminate countertop with a faux granite laminate. Can the new laminate be placed directly on to the old laminate or should we remove the old counter top first?

By Cookie from NY

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

12/15/2009 Flag

Excellent advice in the archives below :-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Can I glue new laminate over old Laminate?

Can I glue new laminate over old Laminate? The old laminate is worn, but is not coming off.

Georgann from Edmonton, Canada

Feedback:

RE: Can I glue new laminate over old Laminate?

Yes, if the laminate has grooves or a pattern, there is a product that you spread on it first, so that the old pattern doesn't come through. I purchased this at Lowe's and it worked great. Don't remember the product name, sorry. (10/02/2006)

By lkoenig

Yes, but you can't use just any type glue. What will work best is what is called a contact adhesive. (10/03/2006)

By Dean

I tried, but it didn't work. I did everything I was supposed to do, and used the contact cement they recommend. It never stuck well and bubbles kept popping up. I wasted $200.00 doing this. Don't do it. (10/06/2008)

By Christa