Buying One Gallon Glass Bottles for Water

Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 gallon "glass" bottles that I can take to the grocery store to refill with water? I've been reusing Gatorade bottles, but I'm concerned about using the plastic bottles over and over.

I've been cleaning them with vinegar, but I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. I'd like to use glass, because it's easier to clean.

By Betty

You might contact a local bar (or several); and ask if they would have empty gallon glass bottles you could have. Glass won't hold the odors/flavors, so your water should still taste like water.

Have you ever considered a water filter for your home. You can go as simple as the kind in a pitcher, or as complex as a whole house system? The water you are buying at the grocery store is simply filtered water.

I dont know how many you want to purchase but I wanted a glass bottle for filtered water in the fridge so I bought milk at the grocery store that comes in glass bottles (half gallon and also smaller sizes) and used them after the milk was gone. You have to pay a deposit on the bottles usually beside the price of the milk but it was still cheaper than buying an empty bottle. Mine has a plastic cap but some only come with paper caps.

Natural food stores also sell milk this way if you grocery store does not. They might also sell empty glass bottles now with all the concern about plastics.

To me water and milk taste so much better and colder in glass than plastic.

EDIT: After reading Jilson's comment below I agree. We use the Brita pitcher filtering system and love it. It comes out to less than $2 a month for us. Depends on how much filtered water you go through. And the replacement filters go on sale quite often nowadays.

In spite of all the FUD and hoaxes forwarded by AOLers, plastic bottles are quite safe. All those companies won't

use anything, that might get them sued. Believe it or not, Bleach bottles are the toughest and use the best plastic.

Even bleach or most acids won't interact with it.

Some brands of Orange Juice come in flat gallon jugs with very comfortable handles, just like Anti-Freeze and Motor

Oil jugs. There is no need to lug heavy and dangerous glass jugs around.

As another reader pointed out, in the long run a filter is the best solution. As long as you don't buy them through

an MLM, they are quite affordable. For example an Aquasana 4000 is just under $100, and if you replace the

filter cartridge at the recommended times, which nobody does, the water costs you under 10 cents per gallon of

filtered table water.

I have also used industrial fuel filters for about twenty years. They are much cheaper. Just be careful not to use

water trapping cartridges. Those DO trap and block water! With regular cartridges your cost drops to below a penny

per gallon.

Have fun! DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor

As plastic ages, it can release trace amounts of Bisphenol-a (BPA) used to strengthen some plastics, and phthalates used to soften others. These chemicals are endocrine disruptor which mimic hormones. Even tiny concentrations can cause problems, including structural damage to the brain, hyperactivity, increased fat formation and altered immune function.

Heinz vinegar comes in glass bottles in the one liter and one quart sizes, but I don't know if they come in the gallon size. I use the 1 liter size and fill them with filtered water and keep them in my refrigerator. If you don't know what to do with all that vinegar, there are tons of ideas on this site:-)

My family loves pickles so I buy the gallon size jar of whole pickles from the bulk section at walmart. After the pickles are gone I always wash and reuse the jars.

I buy juices and cider at our health food store in glass gallon jugs. They cost more, but I also reuse those glass jars.

Empty Liquor Bottles
Reusing Glass Bottles
Consumer Advice Product FinderFebruary 19, 2010
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
🎉
🎄