Cooking With Frozen Okra

Can you freeze fresh okra and still have the fresh taste when unfrozen?

By kalansdale from AR

Absolutely, I've been doing it for years. Just cut it and bag it. I have gone to the trouble of laying a single layer on a cookie sheet and freezing overnight. Works either way. When you're ready to cook just use it from the frozen state. I like to slowly saute mine in olive oil with onions and garlic.

You certainly can have the fresh flavor of okra after it has been frozen. Just prepare it the way you are going to want to use it. Cut up if you want to fry it, or small whole okra if you are going to cook it that way, then freeze. When you get it out, use it from the frozen state, and you will find it keeps its flavor just fine. My favorite way to prepare it is lightly dusted with cornmeal, along with some cut up onion, and a firm tomato, semi- green if possible. Heat up the oil or cooking grease of your choice, and I try to use a minimum, then cook quickly, just until okra gets tender, and onions are getting a bit golden. I got this from my late mother in law, many years ago when I first came to the south, from the pacific north west. My family still loves it.

fried okra
Cooking Okra
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceSeptember 8, 2009
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Drying Okra for Crafts
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra