Drying Okra for Crafts

Category Nature
In addition to being a tasty vegetable frequently used in southern cooking, okra pods ca be dried and used in arts and craft projects. This is a guide about drying okra for crafts.

Can okra pods be preserved in their green state by spraying them with an aerosol of some type?

Answers

Best Answer

I do not know of any spray that will dry okra enough to be used for crafts as if not completely dry it will probably mold or mildew.
Green okra is not used very often in crafts so most instructions will usually be for pods left to dry on the plant.

• I am not sure if your pods will remain really green with most drying methods but if you dry according to instructions for drying flowers most of the color may remain.
  • A dehydrator is one recommendation and the color may stay green.
  • Some recommend 6 to 10 hours in an oven on a low setting of about 150-170 degrees (and then a day wait) but that sounds like a long time to me. It may take this long if you have a large cookie sheet of okra.
  • Ad

• Borax Mixtures is used a lot for all kinds of flowers and vegetables. Do not use pure borax but use it mixed with either white or yellow corn meal. A mixture of one part borax to one part cornmeal mixture is satisfactory for rapid drying, or a mixture of one part borax and up to 3 parts cornmeal should suffice for slower drying. Add one tablespoon of salt to each quart of the mix to speed up the drying process.
  • I have not tried these mixtures so I cannot say for sure that your green color will remain.
  • If you wind up with brown pods you may want to check out these nice wreath design.
  • https://fairega … okra-pod-wreath/
  • Here is a link that gives more information about drying flowers/plants than any other site I've seen.
  • http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep004

Gloss Treatment for after drying: Spray heavily textured materials with lacquer or varnish to add a shine or permanent finish. Lacquer may also be thinned and brushed on, or the materials may be dipped into it.

Do you blanch okra before putting it in the oven at a low temperature for ten hours to dry it for crafts? I am going to make okra angels and the okra has already been picked off the vine.

By kathy stough from Jasper, AL

Answers

No need to blanch it. Drying - Dry in a dehydrator 4 to 6 hours or 6 to 10 hours in an oven on a low setting. Good luck.

Don't know about drying okra, but I'd like the instructions for okra angel please. I love angels!

What temp do you dry them on in the oven for 4-6hours?How long should they be left to cool before using craft paint on them?

What temperature should I use when drying in the oven?

How do you prepare okra to use as a Christmas craft

You don't need to blanch it. Some people store it in a shed to dry

How to dry, or prepare okra, for a Christmas craft?

Answers

You can dry the okra, cut in half, cut in circles or left whole. First wash the okra and pat dry with a towel. Put your okra in a large bowl and add salt and cayenne pepper. Toss the okra to coat the okra. Normally this will dry in 12 to 18 hours depending on the dehydration period and the size of the okra.

I poke holes in them and get all the moisture out as I can... leave them out to dry.

No salt and pepper needed for crafts but for cooking - yes.

Drying can be accomplished in several ways:

1) Leave it on the plant until it dries out completely
2) Dry it in a low oven for several hours
3) Dry it in a dehydrator
4) Lay it out to dry. (punch tiny holes first)

Here are links to a couple of Christmas crafts but the Internet has lots of ideas.

https://www.low … rom-okra/article

http://reginaat … ing-to-town.html

Dry okra on a hot day.It should dry in one day.Wash the small ones leave stems on them.Cut into medium pieces.Put okra in boiling bag in boiler.Let boil 4 minutes,let cool and dump okra in a pan.Let cool, sit in the sun.Put a cloth over your okra.Turn them over once in a while when dry it will not be sticky, but leathery.Put into jars and take out after 3 days. Heat oven to 170 degrees put okra on cookie sheets.Keep in oven 60 minutes, turn off oven. Leave sheets in oven until cool.Then you can put back into clean dry jars and use as needed.

Many readers seem to be missing the words "Christmas craft".

Some good recipes for preparing okra though.