Preserving Okra Pods for Making Decorations

Can okra pods be preserved in their green state by spraying them with an aerosol of some type?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I do not know of any spray that will dry okra enough to be used for crafts as if not completely dry it will probably mold or mildew.
Green okra is not used very often in crafts so most instructions will usually be for pods left to dry on the plant.

• I am not sure if your pods will remain really green with most drying methods but if you dry according to instructions for drying flowers most of the color may remain.
  • A dehydrator is one recommendation and the color may stay green.
  • Some recommend 6 to 10 hours in an oven on a low setting of about 150-170 degrees (and then a day wait) but that sounds like a long time to me. It may take this long if you have a large cookie sheet of okra.
  • Ad

• Borax Mixtures is used a lot for all kinds of flowers and vegetables. Do not use pure borax but use it mixed with either white or yellow corn meal. A mixture of one part borax to one part cornmeal mixture is satisfactory for rapid drying, or a mixture of one part borax and up to 3 parts cornmeal should suffice for slower drying. Add one tablespoon of salt to each quart of the mix to speed up the drying process.
  • I have not tried these mixtures so I cannot say for sure that your green color will remain.
  • If you wind up with brown pods you may want to check out these nice wreath design.
  • https://fairega … okra-pod-wreath/
  • Here is a link that gives more information about drying flowers/plants than any other site I've seen.
  • http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep004

Gloss Treatment for after drying: Spray heavily textured materials with lacquer or varnish to add a shine or permanent finish. Lacquer may also be thinned and brushed on, or the materials may be dipped into it.

You can try using hairspray.

Step 1
Okra pods.

Step 2
If you have quite a few pods I would try different methods .

Step 3
Dipping in clear varnish.

Step 4
Dried Flower Spray. This you can get in a spray bottle at any craft shop.

Step 5
Brushing on clear "Gorilla" glue.

Step 6
Just "play" with it and see what happens.

Silica gel is fast acting to dry okra pods.You can also use kitty litter.