Cleaning Melted Plastic Off a Pan

Accidents happen and having plastic wrap or containers come in contact with your hot pan is not that unusual. This is a guide about cleaning melted plastic off a pan.

September 18, 2016 Flag

A plastic utensil fell into the heating element and melted. A plastic film covers all my dishes. How to remove plastic film from dishes?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If cold releases wax from clothes and votives, maybe it would work on your dishes. Maybe a couple hours in the freezer would help?

January 21, 2009 Flag

My boyfriend placed a hot skillet on a plastic bread bag without knowing. Unfortunately, by the time we realized, the bag was melted onto the pan. We tried scrubbing but some plastic remains making the pan unusable. Any ideas on how to clean it? It's an expensive pan and we don't want to throw it away.

Thanks,
Diane from Wayne, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try putting the pan in the freezer. Once it is cold enough to make the plastic brittle, you may be able to crack or peel the plastic off.

Go to an Auto Store and buy Label remover. Lift Off is one name or Goo Gone is another. The saleperson will know. If you have a O'Reillys Auto they have it. It will take off stubborn labels and will probably remove the plastic. It will not hurt your frying pan. Good luck. Let use know if anything works.

Goo Gone or WD40 should work. I used Goo Gone to remove a melted bread bag from a toaster. You can get it at Canadian Tire and Walmart.

If the plastic is on the outside, reheat it with your hair dryer. Then use one of the small plastic bread fasteners to scrape it off. Take off as much as you can. Then you can use Comet or Ajax cleanser to get any residue off. I have had to do this with my toaster. Have fun and be patient.

Lowe's also has the Lift-Off and is really cheap! I had the decals one puts on a bath tub to prevent slipping on tile floor. Nothing took them up til Lowe's man told me about Lift Off. Bought a small can and it was a miracle how easily they came off - no rubbing, no sticky gum on tiles! Also takes the price stickers off things you want to give as gifts!

You might also try WD-40 if you happen to have it on hand already.

Razorblade.

Place an old piece of cloth (that you can disgard) over the area of melted plastic and iron the area with a very hot iron. The cloth should absorb the plastic just as happens when you remove candle wax from an object or from carpeting. If that doesn't work, try some super fine steel wool, such as used for fine finishing between coats of paint, perhaps with a paste made from baking soda, if it still needs some polishing. I clean my stainless steel pots like that every couple of months.They look great!

I put a very hot pan on a plastic cutting board. Will some of these methods for plastic bags being melted on outside of pan work for my situation too?

At work a plastic mattress pad was thrown into a dryer and it melted. There were clothes in the dryer as well. The melted plastic went onto the clothes. Then the clothes were washed and dried. Now the melted plastic is dried right into the pants. Is there anyway to get it out?

I just tried this on my iron which had a plastic bag melted on it. Heat up the iron or skillet just a bit to warm up the plastic. Once it's warm you get your Goo Gone and use it. If you try Goo Gone with a cold plastic bag, it won't work; when it's heated up, it will! Worked like a charm.

Read More Answers...

May 4, 2009 Flag

I was trying to warm up frozen contents in a plastic storage container so they would drop out into a stainless steel pot. You guessed it, the plastic corners of the container melted onto the inside of the pot. Any suggestions for getting melted plastic out of my stainless steel pot?

By Katermurr from Greenwood, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Chill pot in freezer for a while and use a sharp knife without serrated edges, probably a paring knife size, and scrape away. Chilling will harden the plastic, making it easier to pick at.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 22, 2014
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
A car parked on a sunny day.
Removing Melted Plastic on Car Upholstery
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
🎉
🎄