Cleaning Melted Plastic Off a Pan

Accidents happen and having plastic wrap or containers come in contact with your hot pan is not that unusual. This is a guide about cleaning melted plastic off a pan.

Stainless steel pan.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My boyfriend placed a hot skillet on a plastic bread bag without knowing. Unfortunately, by the time we realized, the bag was melted onto the pan. We tried scrubbing but some plastic remains making the pan unusable. Any ideas on how to clean it? It's an expensive pan and we don't want to throw it away.

Thanks,
Diane from Wayne, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just tried this on my iron which had a plastic bag melted on it. Heat up the iron or skillet just a bit to warm up the plastic. Once it's warm you get your Goo Gone and use it. If you try Goo Gone with a cold plastic bag, it won't work; when it's heated up, it will! Worked like a charm.

Read More Answers...

I was trying to warm up frozen contents in a plastic storage container so they would drop out into a stainless steel pot. You guessed it, the plastic corners of the container melted onto the inside of the pot. Any suggestions for getting melted plastic out of my stainless steel pot?

By Katermurr from Greenwood, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Chill pot in freezer for a while and use a sharp knife without serrated edges, probably a paring knife size, and scrape away. Chilling will harden the plastic, making it easier to pick at.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 22, 2014
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
A car parked on a sunny day.
Removing Melted Plastic on Car Upholstery
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 14, 2016 at 8:36:59 PM on 10.0.1.217 in 469 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.