Browsing: Cleaning Melted Plastic Off a Pan

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Melted Plastic Off a Pan

Accidents happen and having plastic wrap or containers come in contact with your hot pan is not that unusual. This is a guide about cleaning melted plastic off a pan.

Stainless steel pan.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 21, 2009 Flag

My boyfriend placed a hot skillet on a plastic bread bag without knowing. Unfortunately, by the time we realized, the bag was melted onto the pan. We tried scrubbing but some plastic remains making the pan unusable. Any ideas on how to clean it? It's an expensive pan and we don't want to throw it away.

Thanks,
Diane from Wayne, NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Place an old piece of cloth (that you can disgard) over the area of melted plastic and iron the area with a very hot iron. The cloth should absorb the plastic just as happens when you remove candle wax from an object or from carpeting. If that doesn't work, try some super fine steel wool, such as used for fine finishing between coats of paint, perhaps with a paste made from baking soda, if it still needs some polishing. I clean my stainless steel pots like that every couple of months.They look great!

I put a very hot pan on a plastic cutting board. Will some of these methods for plastic bags being melted on outside of pan work for my situation too?

At work a plastic mattress pad was thrown into a dryer and it melted. There were clothes in the dryer as well. The melted plastic went onto the clothes. Then the clothes were washed and dried. Now the melted plastic is dried right into the pants. Is there anyway to get it out?

I just tried this on my iron which had a plastic bag melted on it. Heat up the iron or skillet just a bit to warm up the plastic. Once it's warm you get your Goo Gone and use it. If you try Goo Gone with a cold plastic bag, it won't work; when it's heated up, it will! Worked like a charm.

Read More Answers...

May 4, 2009 Flag

I was trying to warm up frozen contents in a plastic storage container so they would drop out into a stainless steel pot. You guessed it, the plastic corners of the container melted onto the inside of the pot. Any suggestions for getting melted plastic out of my stainless steel pot?

By Katermurr from Greenwood, IN

Chill pot in freezer for a while and use a sharp knife without serrated edges, probably a paring knife size, and scrape away. Chilling will harden the plastic, making it easier to pick at.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 22, 2014
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
A car parked on a sunny day.
Removing Melted Plastic on Car Upholstery
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 12:30:08 AM on 10.0.1.13 in 409 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.