Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture

How do I clean black Sharpie marker off wooden furniture?

By Sherry from Phoenix, AZ

Best Answer

I used hand sanitizer to get the Sharpie art work off of my coffee table. My grand drew me a pic. It worked like a charm. Good luck.

Best Answer

My gosh I have a polished wooden Japanese antique and my daughter's sharpie was on a baggie placed on the wood. Overnight the ink adhered itself to the wood. I thought it was gone forever, and almost fainted with grief (I really like Japan). I quickly came online to see what would take off Sharpie pen from wood, and saw this. I tried white toothpaste, and lo and behold, it worked! It worked! Thank you thank you thank you!

Toothpaste worked great! Thank you!

I just used regular toothpaste and a paper towel and removed green Sharpie from my 5 year olds white wooden dresser. Worked like a charm! Thank you for the tip!

I removed permanent marker off my hardwood floor with hair spray. Tried eraser, no luck, dulled it but it didn't remove it completely. Tried Awesome, again only dulled it and then finally I tried hairspray and wiped away with paper towel. My mother found this in an old book of home remedies. It said to wipe away with water and vinegar. I think to take the stickiness away.

I used regular toothpaste to get a large amount of black permanent marker out of my kitchen table and chairs. It took some srubbing, but it worked like a charm! After, I used vinegar and water with a paper towel to get rid of the stickey-ness. It is as if nothing ever happened!

Thank you so much! I got all of the "black" permanent marker marks off of my new wooden desk with Colgate toothpaste! I put the tooth paste on a rag and rubbed gently. I was truly amazed at how easily it came off. I am so happy!

Thank you Winnie007.I put Walnut Furniture marker on my Maple Hitchcock dining room table.Disaster resulted with a dark smear(two actually to cover the cat scratches).The Colgate toothpaste with a bit of rubbing and some wet tissue removed the stain to almost nil.

Thank you threefold.

Thanks guys! You saved my desk. Blue prismacolor bleedthrough is the worst. White toothpaste worked very well without harming the natural wood finish. Thanks for the tip!

Thank-you, used used colgate total to remove two year old's sharpie artwork from teen brother's bed, worked a treat and two year old survived too!

A colorful wooden dresser.
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureNovember 30, 2010
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄