Repairing Dull Spot Left by Magic Eraser on Laminate Counter Top

I had a spot on my laminate counter tops in the kitchen. It appeared to be a spot that had been wiped but left a dull finish. I used the Magic Eraser to try to rid of the dull look. The Magic Eraser has eaten the shiny finish off the laminate and left an even bigger dull finish area. How do you repair this look?

Rhonda from Audubon, IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

That is a danger of using a Mr. Clean Eraser on a shiny surface--the Eraser is abrasive and it will leave a dull area. I did this once on a vinyl floor and all I could do was to leave it alone. In time the normal useage of the floor kind of polished the dull area and you couldn't see it any longer. I hope that will happen to your countertop if you leave it alone and just continue to use it.

Maybe you can track down the manufacturer's telephone number, and perhaps they may have suggestions.

I know some laminates cannot be repaired; I'm not sure if it's true for all types.

Try using Pledge or some other furniture polish on the spot. You will probably need to do the entire counter top area though, because just applying polish to the spot, will probably make that area stand out, like a sore thumb! You might also try WD-40 as a polish. Gel Gloss is another good polish. You might also try applying a small amount of vegetable oil, to the spot. Rubbing the oil off, with a paper towel, after about five minutes.

Pledge worked best for us. The spot is still visible, but much less so than before.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Man Repairing a Laminate Counter
Repairing a Laminate Counter
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenApril 29, 2008
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
front of box
Magic Eraser Left Marks
Counter Top Dishwasher
Buying a Counter Top Dishwasher
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 4:42:50 PM on 10.0.1.224 in 756 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.