Magic Eraser Left Marks

Category Miscellaneous
These erasers can be helpful to remove a variety of things, but can leave a residue on some surfaces. This is a guide about Magic Eraser left marks.

I got highlighter on my walls and used a Magic Eraser to clean and it left a dark looking mark.

Answers

Magic Erasers are great, but they are not to be used on painted surfaces, as you just found out. You will have to repaint.

Anonymous

Did you wet the magic eraser and that is what caused the mark? I haven't tried it myself, but I found a post that talks about using the magic eraser dry to lightly buff off the spot. It can't hurt to try.

The thread also talks about the best way to match the paint (just in case you weren't the original painter or don't have the original paint.

Hope this helps! Sorry. That is so frustrating when magic goes bad
:(

Did you wet the magic eraser and that is what caused the mark? I ask because if it was wet, then you may want to try this tip.

I haven't tried it myself, but I found a post (below) that talks about using the magic eraser dry to lightly buff off the spot. It can't hurt to try.

www.houzz.com/.../please-help-streaks-on-wallsmagic...

The thread also talks about the best way to match the paint (just in case you weren't the original painter or don't have the original paint).

:(

Too bad..
Magic Eraser is good for many things but definitely not for walls painted with flat paint.

• I would try the dry Magic Eraser (gently!) and see if it helps.
  • It looks like your wall is white so another thing to try is white chalk. This may not remove the spot but it will make it less noticeable. Just rub chalk over the spot and gently brush off excess - do a second time and maybe it will do until wall is painted.

I did that once as I did not know it was a mild abrasive on painted surfaces. My husband used a matching shoe polish and buffed it with it, worked like magic as a quick fix.

Do not use eraser on high gloss paint.Paint over the spot.

I like Atoosa's suggestion so I hope that will work for you.
Just a comment about having to "repaint" or "paint the spot" as I have been in this situation several times - having a bad spot on a wall - and it is almost impossible to paint a spot and make it go away. Usually the paint on the wall is old and nearly impossible to match (especially white) so you usually just make your "spot" more noticeable.

Many times people are in rental property and cannot paint anything without permission from the landlord.
Painting is not an easy job and can get very expensive as you may not be able to paint only one wall.
Finding an inexpensive way to "hide" a spot can be time consuming but still remains the best solution for most people.

Alcohol will take most of the magic marker off walls. My daughter colored on her freshly painted wall. She got to clean it with a wet cloth and Ajax cleaner. Luckily, it was painted with oil paint.

My daughter used the Magic Eraser on dark painted walls. It has left a white residue. I tried going back over it with a sponge but it is still there. She made a few smiley faces with the eraser. We weren't smiling too much. Please help.

Jdeuel from Cincinnati

Answers

By Linda (Guest Post)

Contact the company and ask for their advice.

I had the same thing happen to me but on a table/bench seat and all I did was wipe it off with a damp cloth.

I will never do that again.

Zig

By kathy (Guest Post)

Are you sure it is residue? The Mr. Clean Sponge is abrasive and may have scratched down to the paint below. You may need to repaint. Good luck!

By Trix (Guest Post)

One rule that often works is 'like dissolves like' Try using a new Mr. Clean eraser to break up the white marks (try a small spot first so it doesn't get worse) and then immediately wipe off the residue.

The eraser should dissolve the marks that are already there so that they can be wiped away.

By Richard (Guest Post)

Be careful with this product I had used permabond glue for my car window rain shield it leaked down on to the paint of my new shiny car. I went on the internet. People were raving about this pin that they had used on their car for the same thing. It took the glue off. Some where it told me not to, that it would scratch. I thought these people were aware of it, went and bought some.

It not only did nothing for the glue mark, but now have micro scratches all over my car very upset that I didn't listen to my inner voice that said "no, don't try it". It's not a cure. You may as well get a sponge and some sort of everyday cleaner just read the instructions very carefully.

I have worn hardwood floors and made the mistake of using a Magic Eraser to take off scuff marks, big mistake. Now I am looking for suggestions to cover the cloudy white spots.

By Beth Little from Ontario, Canada

Answers

I think if they are scuffed spots you can rub a walnut on them. I've heard that it covers scratches, so hopefully it will work for you. Good luck!

Could it be that the Magic Eraser removed the wax? Maybe the floor needs to be stripped and re-waxed.

I did the same thing. I used Miniwax cleaner and then the hardwood riviver and they were gone. Follow the utube video. I also used the low gloss version of the reviver. I had to order it online.

Hi there,
Do you have the Youtube video for this? I mistakenly did the same thing and used a magic eraser on my floors. What was the process you used to fix this? Thanks so much!

There is a faded white mark where I used a Magic Eraser Extra Strength on my client's wood floor. I want to spot fix it with Bona High Gloss. Can I do that? I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible to fix.

By nonya

Answers

I would try rubbing mayonnaise on it first. Make sure it is mayonnaise and not salad dressing or not low fat mayo.

I am not sure how to fix it, but I think what has happened is that you have removed the surface on the flooring. Magic Eraser is an abrasive, and doesn't leave marks. It works by "sanding" off the soap scum or stain or whatever. It would be similar to a bleach "stain" - not a stain at all, but a removing of the original color. You will have to somehow recolor the area. Because we don't know for sure what type of flooring, it is almost impossible to give advice.

How do I remove the marks my child made on our dining room table?

By Megan L.