Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

When your cat has an accident, it can be a challenge to remove the smell of urine from hardwood flooring. This is a guide about cleaning cat urine smell on hardwood floors.

A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have laminate flooring in 2 rooms, hardwood floor in one, and rubber tile flooring in 2 rooms. We are smelling cat urine as soon as we come in the house, but can't find the exact location of the where she did it. So I need some advice as to what to use on each of these floorings since this is going to be a whole house with the exception of the bedrooms where there is no odor. I will appreciate all suggestions and thank you.

By slg

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Buy or borrow a black light to find where kitty left urine. Cat urine fluoresces under the light. Use a Product called Nature's Miracle to clean and deodorize.

Now you need to determine if kitty just had a accident or is actively potting in the wrong places. If it's the latter, you need to put the litter box where the cat is wetting. Then gradually move it where you want it. Some cats are really finicky about the box being clean too.

If you have a male cat, they may spray even they are neutered. To stop this, identify the places and clean with Nature's Miracle then spray with pheromones which calm the cat. A good pet shop will help you find the right product. Good Luck, kitty deserves your help being the kitty you want in your house.

I have discovered dark patches on the wooden floor where my cat has previously peed and it has dried in. I am not too bothered about the stain it has made as it will be covered by a new rug. I will have to throw away the old rug which is shaggy pile and replace it, but I need to get rid of the smell. The floor is teak. Any ideas please?

By Lynn from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 11, 2014
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Hardwood Floor
Getting Urine Odor Out of Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 14, 2016 at 9:50:03 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 302 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.