Browsing: Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

When your cat has an accident, it can be a challenge to remove the smell of urine from hardwood flooring. This is a guide about cleaning cat urine smell on hardwood floors.

A kitten sitting on a wood floor.

Related Product:

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 15, 2016 Flag

How can I get rid of the cat urine odor so that I can refinish and stain the wood? I'm really having trouble with this.

Hardwood Floor
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do not want to hear this! If there is cat or dog urine soaked into the wood floor, there is very little you can do and, even trying several methods, will most probably need to either deep sand the wood to below the urine stain or replace the area completely. We had a horrible dog urine problem in a house we purchased when the windows were wide open for the summer breeze. After we closed the windows, the stench made us gag! Ended up replacing most of the house floors as urine had soaked into most of the house.

Good Luck!!!

The always helpful site below will provide what possibilities are available and will fully explain each attack. If you are not sure where the urine is, borrow or buy a ultraviolet light; it will show the patches of cat urine:

http://homerenovations.about.com/od ... c-5925-482a-b354-bffc7a10e6a4-0-ab_m

November 10, 2014 Flag

I have laminate flooring in 2 rooms, hardwood floor in one, and rubber tile flooring in 2 rooms. We are smelling cat urine as soon as we come in the house, but can't find the exact location of the where she did it. So I need some advice as to what to use on each of these floorings since this is going to be a whole house with the exception of the bedrooms where there is no odor. I will appreciate all suggestions and thank you.

By slg

Buy or borrow a black light to find where kitty left urine. Cat urine fluoresces under the light. Use a Product called Nature's Miracle to clean and deodorize.

Now you need to determine if kitty just had a accident or is actively potting in the wrong places. If it's the latter, you need to put the litter box where the cat is wetting. Then gradually move it where you want it. Some cats are really finicky about the box being clean too.

If you have a male cat, they may spray even they are neutered. To stop this, identify the places and clean with Nature's Miracle then spray with pheromones which calm the cat. A good pet shop will help you find the right product. Good Luck, kitty deserves your help being the kitty you want in your house.

April 2, 2011 Flag

I have discovered dark patches on the wooden floor where my cat has previously peed and it has dried in. I am not too bothered about the stain it has made as it will be covered by a new rug. I will have to throw away the old rug which is shaggy pile and replace it, but I need to get rid of the smell. The floor is teak. Any ideas please?

By Lynn from UK

the best solution is 1tsp diswashing liquid 1 tbsp baking soda an d 16 ozs hydrogen peroxide mixed together. pour on area where urine is/ it will fizz, leave til next day or when dry. wipe down and voila your smell is gone. unfortunately the dark stain will remain. but odour gone. one hundred per cent

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 11, 2014
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 7, 2016 at 10:47:23 AM on 10.0.2.232 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.