Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

I have a dresser that was my grandmother's; it is over 80 years old and made of real wood. It had a large heavy TV sitting on top of it for years. Now I can't open any of the drawers. So what can I do without damaging the dresser? Thank you for any help.

By Robbie from Douglasville, GA

It may sound like a hassle, but the first thing to do is empty out each drawer. Then turn it upside down and run an old/new candle across the bottom 'rungs' of the drawer. You may have to do this a couple of times but try inserting the drawer and pulling it in and out in order to build up the wax on both the bottom of the dresser and where it comes in contact with the drawer. It should work after only one or two applications of the wax on the drawer bottom(s). I've had to do this with some older dressers and it works like a charm. Good luck. If it has a center support (as mine do), also run the wax through that so it glides easier too.

Close up image of an old fashioned dresser drawer
Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed
Home and Garden Repair FurnitureNovember 5, 2009
Dresser Drawer
Freshening Dresser Drawers
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Sofa Bed
Sofa Bed is Stuck Open
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet