Breed Information: Bichon Frise

Breed Description: The Bichon Frise is a small, sturdy dog with a fluffy white coat who loves to be the center of attention. This breed is known for its friendly nature and physical agility. This breed makes a good companion for the elderly, small children, and other family pets.

Group: Non-Sporting Group

Purpose of Breed: Companion to royalty

Country of Origin: France

Average Size: Averages 7-12 lbs. and 9-12 inches tall

Color(s): Usually pure white, this breed may also have shadings of buff, cream or apricot around the ears and on the body.

Coat Type: The Bichon Frise has a fluffy double coat that consists of a soft and dense undercoat and an outercoat that consists of coarser, loosely curled hair.

Grooming: The coat of the Bichon Frise requires frequent (daily) grooming to prevent it from matting. They have a non-shedding coat suitable for people with allergies. This breed requires standard care for ears, pads and nails, but special attention should be paid to runny eyes due to recurring tear duct obstructions.

Exercise Needs: This breed is active and lively, but suitable for apartments and the elderly if give adequate exercise.

Temperament: Sensitive and gentle, this breed is known for its cheerful and affectionate nature. The Bichon Frise gets along well with other companion animals and with children. They are outgoing little dogs that prefer to spend time with members of their family. Although they are not good guard dogs, they are good watch dogs that will bark to announce strangers.

Common Ailments: The Bichon Frise is susceptible to eye, skin and ear problems, epilepsy and dislocated kneecaps.

Life Expectancy: Averages 15 years

Trivia: The Bichon Frise was also highly regarded in Spain and was frequently used as an item of barter internationally throughout antiquity. This breed is featured in many paintings by the famous Spanish artist Francisco de Goya.

More Information: Bichon Frise Club of America, Inc.

can anyone tell me how to clean round my bishons eyes they run and have gone all brown and i can t find anything to get them clean

I feed a raw food diet - bones & raw food and have very little staining - however, I occasionally use a q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide that works real well.

My Bichon's skin was pink, but now it is freckling and has large dark spots on various parts of her back. Is this normal?

As for the eyes. i have used this stuff called angels eyes and it is a powder you put on their food and it really helps to clean up the eye area.

http://www.angelseyesonline.com/

The tear staining is a common problem (I have 2 bichons and have tried most everything out there). The staining is caused by tears that overflow the eyelid and then make a great warm, wet area for bacteria to grow. Small tear ducts, blocked ducts and overly round eyes lead to runny eyes. Have your vet check the tear ducts to be sure they are not simply blocked. Otherwise keeping the eye area clipped short to prevent wicking of the tears out of the eye, drying the area frequently (wipe it) and occasionally using a bit of hydrogen peroxide on the stain will help to keep it whiter. As for adding things to your dog's food, there is an antibiotic that is fairy effective in suppressing the brown-staining bacteria, but I don't recommend it for long-term use. Angel-Eyes is the same antibiotic, just flavored and much more expensive.

Black freckles on your bichon is normal and desirable since it means your dog has good pigment (it goes with the black paw pads and nose).

My Bishons ears flop backwards is this normal? She was born May 7th 2007. Also, one of her eyes does not have black around it? Can anyone tell me if this is a bad thing?

My Bichon Frise has pink stains just under his eyes. How can I get rid of them?

I use Angel Eyes and My Bichon's tears are Gone and it only took 3 weeks.... The stuff is amazing...

How long does it take for him to get his Adult Coat. He is 4 months rightnow.

If your dog has Pink around her eye then she may not be that pure of a breed.... *shrugs* I dunno...

That last comment about pink around the eyes making it not that pure of breed is not true. And very unfair to say I think. IT is well known that bichons have tear stain problems. Although the comment about angel eyes was true. Brilliant stuff.

I have been feeding my Bichon puppy one blueberry daily for a week, and her tear stains are gone. Got this tip from a groomer and it really works! And it's natural and her favorite treat of the day!

Bichon Frise Puppy
Bichon Frise Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Bichon FriseApril 11, 2006
Exotic Shorthair Kitten
Exotic Shorthair - Breed Information and Photos
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Poodle Breed Information and Photos
Poodle Breed Information and Photos
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎉
🎄