Smooth Iron Sole Plate Cover

I am looking for a cover that goes on an iron to cover up the steam holes and gives a smooth surface to the iron sole plate. I am doing some work with large iron-on transfers and the holes from the sole plate make "bubbles" in the transfers. I can get them out but have other uses for a smooth plate, too.

A Google search lead me to Teflon covers but they still have holes - although they are smaller than my iron's. Does anyone know of a source for the smooth sole plate cover? Thanks a million.

If you are doing a lot of transfers and are using your iron as a 'dry' iron, I suggest you buy a Dry Iron. They are available at most discount stores in the $10.00 range. This would save a lot of stress for you. I'm from the era when steam irons first came out, but I clearly remember my mother sprinkling the clothes to get them damp and even putting them in the refrigerator to 'keep' them, and then ironing with a dry iron (the only kind then). I do own both and use them for different purposes. Good Luck.

Did you pre wash fabric or garment?

Have you tried placing a towel under and a pressing cloth on top of fabic or garment?

Sometimes Ironing board surface is not hard enough surface.

Until you can find a cover for your iron, you can temporarily use heavy duty aluminum foil, folded over twice or go to the local home improvement center and buy some flashing. Flashing is the metal used on roofs, gutters, ect... you can use metal shears to cut it.

Look at the name brand of your irons web-site or better yet if there is a number, call!

hope these short-cut tips will help

I have not seen any dry irons in any discount or dollar stores in many years; but the other day I got a catalog from Vermont Country store and they have one in the catalog. I think it is $29.95. Check their website. It is They have a lot of items that you can no longer find anywhere else. Some of their items are a little pricy but then everything has gone up. I have ordered from them several times and have never been disappointed.

clothes iron
Crafts Using Iron On Transfers
Consumer Advice Product FinderApril 9, 2008
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Sole Recipes
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Wickker Paper Plate Holders
Using Paper Plate Holders