Problems With Automatic Computer Updating

For several months I have been trying to get my computer to do updates. It is set for auto update. I have turned off my firewall (and on w/anti-virus stuff off) and antivirus stuff, etc. and even though my security settings say Norton AV is off, once in a while a message pops up saying Norton is scanning or updating. And my other updates won't update.

I have had Norton AV for a while so I don't think that is what is causing it. I keep getting the error message "80072 EFD". I have followed the advice on the help menu, I have contacted the company and I just get emails saying I should get an email in 24 hours, yet I never do. It is so aggravating. My computer is less than two years old, it shouldn't be doing this.

By Tatorbug from AL

Go to:Problems With Automatic Computer Updating"lot of info there,good luck.

I would try uninstalling Norton AV just to see what happens MY daughter maintains my computer and she said Norton causes more problem then its worth. You can always reinstall it and you will know for sure that its not that.

I had norton on my laptop and it was a pain. The best way to uninstall it is to go to their website and uninstall from there. Also, webby here on this site has a link that helps you to uninstall Norton, if I'm not mistaken.

Anonymous

Switch to McAfee! I had nothing but headaches with Norton causing the same problems and more and once I switched to McAfee (about five years ago) I haven't had a single problem!

You can get the Norton Uninstall link from Webby, mentioned in a previous post, at his tool box link. Just scroll down until you see 'Remove Norton': http://webby.com/tools.html

After you've uninstalled Norton and downloaded McAfee go back to his tool box and download: 'Spybot Search and Destroy' and 'Crap Cleaner'. They are both free and will help keep your machine clean ;-)

I don't have any advice about your specific problem but I have found a website with real expert help. You must give a deposit of $14, 18 or 30 but don't pay unless you are satisfied. My problem was that my cd drive hadn't worked in some time and I wasn't finding help but when I contacted this web site, a computer expert asked me a few questions then sent me a file to download. I did that and rebooted as instructed and omygosh, it worked!

Apparently it was a problem with the registry, which I would never mess with as I know nothing about it. I gladly paid $18 and gave a bonus as well. The site is Justanswer. com, they have other types of specialists as well, ie legal, medical, etc. I can't recommend this highly enough. Pat

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I am wondering though...my husband set up the Norton on my computer and paid in advance for like a year. Do they do refunds or will that be a total loss if I take Norton completely off? Also, I found McAfee also on my computer in addition to Norton AV and thought it was because both were on there. But that didn't help my problem when I disabled them.

Anonymous

I don't remember if I did or didn't get a partial refund from Norton but my way of thinking is it was worth the loss to get out from under such a bad program so I probably didn't even bother asking them. You can contact their customer service and see what they say though :-)

I am definitely not a computer guru but it seems to me that having both Norton and McAfee on your machine is wreaking havoc too :-o Disabling is not enough, one or the other needs to be completely uninstalled. If it's Norton you choose to uninstall then you will need to use the Webby link I mentioned in my previous post after uninstallation to completely remove components that still remain because, with Norton, uninstall alone doesn't remove all their components.

If you would like more information then click on that Webby link and somewhere on the page there will be a contact link to ask him his opinion. If anyone knows for sure, it's him ;-)

Anonymous

First of all, you never should have more then one Firewall and one Anti-Virus software program on your computer. The reason is the fact, they will conflict with each other, then you will have no coverage at all.

Norton's has a removal tool on their website to remove all of there software from your computer and it works very well.

I was a Norton's user for many years, but I had a terrible time with them and got myself two Great Free Software Programs. Firewall - Zone Alarm. Anti-Virus - Avast. Never looked back. Have been using these two programs for 6 years now. Excellent Free Programs. Have any questions, Please post back.

You never stated what kind of computer you have and if you're running windows 7 or not. All of the above is correct about Norton and yes they do give refunds you just have to be real firm about no and watch things you download as they will sneak piggy back back in on one of them with a check mark you overlook undoing. Both Norton and McAfee are lousy and uninstalling it make take a few tries. Ever once in a while Norton still sends me emails saying I'm not covered and I delete them and that was over a year ago.

My Microsoft icon is in my lower right hand corner of the screen. It says it is downloading updates but it isn't happening. Is there some way to find out why not and get these important updates? I've tried a few things but no luck. Thanks.

Pattie from Bridgton

I just googled in "Microsoft updates" and this takes you through the process of getting any updates. Good luck.

Have you checked in your control panel to see if the updates are waiting for your approval to install?

Just try either one and also sign up to microsoft.com and they will send you a monthly e-mail with the updates needed that month. Then you can open and download.

On your start menu, go to Help & Support

Click on "Keep your computer up to date with Microsoft Updates".

Make sure "Automatic Updates" is turned ON.

When I get ready to install the updates, I use "Custom" option. If there's something that you don't think you need or want then you can choose not to install it. For example, I don't update any languages except English. You should also create a restore point for your computer before you actually install any updates or install any new programs. If there is a virus, spyware or malware within any of the installed programs, you can possibly go back and restore your computer to the restore point date. This does not work every time because of the type of virus etc. that attacks you computer, but it is a good precaution.

Jan