GrowingGardening

Tomato Plants Look Sick

I am new to gardening and my tomato plants are looking sick. The top, not the bottom leaves look like they are drying up. The bottom leaves are large, flat, and have slightly rounded edges. The top leaves are small, curled, and have sharp edges. No discoloration, no holes in the leaves.

The ground here is pretty solid and can flood in very heavy rainfall. The weather has been mostly dry and around 80 degrees. I have plants in two separate areas, Big Boys and Better Boys. All of the tomatoes are having this problem. Also the tomatoes are still green, but look more yellow at the bottom and green at the top.

I never know if I am watering them too much or not. I usually water them with a hose spray for about 10 min. each, every 2-3 days depending on the rainfall. Please help. They were beautiful and very large and were doing so well. Can they die if I don't do something?

By Courtney from Glenview, IL

Search for "how to grow tomatoes" online. Looks like you are doing the right thing. Mine are not doing well this year, lot of tomatoes are not doing well. Guess it's the weather, been too hot here in Al. Good luck.

www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/nyregion/18tomatoes.html. There is a nationwide blight that's hitting tomatoes. There is a lot of information on it. This was a bad year for tomatoes. Don't be discouraged though, if your new at gardening there is so much reward to using your own vegetables!