Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings

Category Annuals
This hardy plant can give you a burst of color as a cut flower or in containers. This guide is about growing morning glory from cuttings.

My Mother and I both love morning glories. I sprouted one that I cut from outside in water and then replanted it where I wanted it to grow. Our fences are now covered wtih them. I bring them in all the time and bloom them on window sills. I always take an envelope full of the round seeds at the end of growing season and break them open and plant them again next year. The rest fall from the pods off the vine onto the ground. I love these plants. I believe they are related to the sweet potato or yam plant.

Can you grow a morning glory out of trims? My in-laws has a huge one. And I want one too. But I want a piece of theirs.

Answers

You can. I got mine from my neighbors migrating under the fence. They are very invasive and I wish I didnt have it.

You can start it from a seed or a clipping.

Seeds are easiest. Clippings can be tricky, but it works.

This site has directions.

I love these, but be aware that they spread and you don't want them to visit your neighbors, so be sure you put them somewhere that they won't go a wandering around the block!!

www.flowershopnetwork.com/.../

Best wishes for happy growing. PS, i love how they look around light polls!!!

Hi,

Morning glories are absolutely able to be rooted in water. I used to bring them in and let them sit in a glass of water. However, the best part of morning glories is that in the late summer, or fall, they will begin to turn their little bloom buds downwards. This means they are about to go to seed. When they go to seed, you will see little brown pods full of seeds. You can collect hundreds of these.

Morning glories, once they get started, can take over really fast. They are beautiful though.

Blessings,

Robyn

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I like to take cuttings off of different yard plants and put them in jars on my windowsills. This morning glory actually bloomed.

By Kflocey from Gladwin, MI

Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes