Budgie Behavior

My budgie has become very angry with me and I don't know why.

By Bianca from Chicago, IL

I didn't have the faintest idea what a budgie was until I used a search engine. If you are having behavioral problems with your bird talk to a vet.

They get that way at times. I have had to watch mine, mine is VERY uncomfortable with people...I had to do some of the following exercises with him to get him less agitated when I would change out his water and food.

Walk over to the cage.

Put your hand inside the cage, very slowly, point at him. Once he acts like he wants to end the contact...then slowly retrieve your finger, still pointing at him and back up and turn around and walk off.

Try this again, every so often throughout the day. I did this about 10 times at first, it teaches the very smart bird that it can control any contact from you.

I also did a thing to make it more comfortable..i little squares of paper with hearts cut out of in onto his cage front with clear tape. He cant see as much going on and he is more comfortable. as a matter of fact, he has never been so active.

Where is the cage at? If he is showing possessiveness, I would move the cage around the house one day about ten different times and then walk away T hat shows him you are in charge of the cage and he is not.

LOL I love budgies!

Also, here are some free videos on bird training, which I like to view every so often.

http://www.squidoo.com/ParrotTamingandTraining

Robyn

I like this video also, it is on utube after it plays there are lots more here also...notice the soft voices and eating by the cage and talking to the bird as if it was a friend visiting you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K_lRwaGj2w&NR=1

Budgies, like any creature, can go through times of moodiness. Be patient, gentle and loving with your budgie and hopefully the mood will improve. Robyn Fed has some good ideas and links as well. Is your bird aggressive to everyone, or just you? And have you changed anything(cage location, new toy) that might be making your bird nervous and acting out from insecurity? If you have a good avian vet, they can be a good resource and there are lots of bird forums with good advice as well. I like ThePerch.net.

Parakeet
Understanding Parakeet Behavior
Pets BirdsFebruary 20, 2010
blue and white budgie
Budgie Keeps Laying Eggs
Parakeet/Budgies
Parakeet/Budgie Photos
Skunk
Understanding Skunk Behavior
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
Teaching a Child to Be Thoughtful
🎄