Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Iron On Labels

I bought my husband a dress shirt at Goodwill. It's in perfect shape, but I discovered there is a strange iron on label inside the collar. It's like paper, but it's tough.

I have tried Goo Gone and fabric softener. I have tried heating with the iron. I have tried plain water. I even tried digging it off with a flat screwdriver, but it isn't even fazed. I am at a loss as to how to get it out. Does anyone have any ideas of what would work? Thank you.

By Ruth from Hawthorn, PA

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Ann Winberg [282]03/03/2010

I see that you said you tried an iron, if you try the method "kffrmw88 " suggested and it doesn't work, you may have to put a softer label over the top. Perhaps a dry cleaner would have a suggestion also.

By kathleen williams [23]03/02/2010

Easy Instructions. Things You'll Need:

Ironing board
Iron
Cloth or parchment paper

Step 1) Place the garment with the iron-on label on an ironing board, with the label facing up. Turn your iron on to the highest setting.

Step 2) Place either a thin piece of cloth or parchment paper over the label.

Step 3) Apply heat to the cloth or parchment paper over the iron-on label for 10 to 15 seconds.

Step 4) Carefully remove the cloth or parchment paper and immediately pull the corner of the label. The label will be hot; consider using a knife to slowly peel back the label.

Step 5) As the label cools, stop peeling and repeat. You may need to steam it off with a damp cloth.