Removing Iron On Labels

I bought my husband a dress shirt at Goodwill. It's in perfect shape, but I discovered there is a strange iron on label inside the collar. It's like paper, but it's tough.

I have tried Goo Gone and fabric softener. I have tried heating with the iron. I have tried plain water. I even tried digging it off with a flat screwdriver, but it isn't even fazed. I am at a loss as to how to get it out. Does anyone have any ideas of what would work? Thank you.

By Ruth from Hawthorn, PA

Best Answer

Easy Instructions. Things You'll Need:

Ironing board

Iron

Cloth or parchment paper

Step 1) Place the garment with the iron-on label on an ironing board, with the label facing up. Turn your iron on to the highest setting.

Step 2) Place either a thin piece of cloth or parchment paper over the label.

Step 3) Apply heat to the cloth or parchment paper over the iron-on label for 10 to 15 seconds.

Step 4) Carefully remove the cloth or parchment paper and immediately pull the corner of the label. The label will be hot; consider using a knife to slowly peel back the label.

Step 5) As the label cools, stop peeling and repeat. You may need to steam it off with a damp cloth.

That only made it more adhered. :(

Best Answer

I see that you said you tried an iron, if you try the method "kffrmw88 " suggested and it doesn't work, you may have to put a softer label over the top. Perhaps a dry cleaner would have a suggestion also.

I have tried every suggestion listed here (e.g., hot iron, Goo Gone), in addition to paint thinner and even gasoline. Nothing has removed this damn iron-on patch. I even stopped by my local cleaners to see if they had an idea or industrial-strength adhesive remover I could buy. Nope. Does any1 have any other suggestions?

There is a product called Mess Master you can buy at Michaels craft stores. It runs about $6.00_$7.00 dollars a can but a can lasts you forever . Just spray it on there and take one of those scouring pads that you used to scrub pans with ,not the kind with any soap, just the plain scouring pad. the square ones that are really thin. The glue will come off beautifully. It has a bit of a smell so you want to wash it afterwards but it works great. You can use it on your Hands after getting paint on them and all fabrics or other surfaces it takes stick on lettering off of surfaces to , it's a great product

Iron-On Patch
Removing Iron-On Labels and Patches
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceMarch 1, 2010
T-shirt with a bright orange and red floral design.  Design isolated next to shirt
Removing an Iron-On Transfer from a T-shirt
Treating a clothing stain on a shirt.
Removing Applique Residue from Fabric
🎄