Sticky Residue on Steam Iron

How do I get sticky residue off a steam iron?

Gail

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Heat the iron to high ... Have a damp cloth ready ... Unplug the iron and scrub the hot surface with the rag ... Be careful the first time you try it that the rag doesn't get so hot that it burns your skin ... Depending on the amount of build-up it might take a couple of tries :-)

Get a piece of wax paper, then sprinkle some table salt on the paper. Heat your iron (without steam) run the iron back and forth on the salt and wax paper. Should take all the built up off. Sometimes, I just run it over the wax paper without the salt. Works everytime!

It depends on what it is. If it's adhesive, you can use some lighter fluid. Then clean it off with some window cleaner or whatever. I keep lighter fluid for just this thing...labels, what have you. I use a small piece of cotton ball or similar, soak with the fluid & then throw it in the trash, with the adhesive on it.

There is an inexpensive product by Faultless called Hot Iron Cleaner. Just follow the directions on the package. It works great. I buy it at Walmart's.

Try GooGone. Be sure to clean the bottom of the iron before doing any actual ironing. Just iron an old towel or rag.

I actually read on here to place a dryer sheet between two pieces of towel then heat up the iron and run itron back and forth over the paper towels til residur is gone, and it worked great. Iron is like new again.

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesNovember 4, 2008
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Leather Jacket
Removing Sticky Residue from Name Tag on Leather Jacket
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 6:45:39 PM on 10.0.1.131 in 773 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.