Sharpening a Can Opener

I have a hand held can opener which has gotten very dull. Does anyone have tips for sharpening the blade?

For about 50 cents you can buy a new blade at an applicance repair center. Or maybe it's 75 cents by now....

I fold up a small sheet of aluminum foil and run it through the blade a couple of times. It seems to do the trick.

I've read that you can sharpen scissors by cutting up a sheet of sandpaper, very fine grit, I assume. I wonder if that would work with a can opener?

You could probably sharpen the can opener by using an old metal file, and run it along the inside edges of the sharpener blade. My husband has purchased a lot of old tools at estate sales and some garage sales.

We've had this U.S.A. made Swing-A-Way for fifteen years and it shows no signs of wearing out: around $9 online. I think the solution to your problem is just getting a quality can opener and you won't have to sharpen it! Here's a link to a picture I found that most closely resembles ours.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278254

All I do is rinse it off under hot water, dab the excess water off with a towel, put it in the dish drainer to air dry before putting it back into an enclosed drawer. Hope that makes your life easier!

Old school can opener 2
Sharpening a Handheld Can Opener Blade
Home and Garden Repair ToolsJune 19, 2007
Man's hands sharpening scissors on grinding wheel.
Sharpening Scissors
can opener
Choosing a Can Opener
Garage Door Opener
Reusing a Garage Door Opener
Reel Mower Blades
Sharpening a Reel Mower
🎄