Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Deleting Auto-Fill Information On My Computer

I would like to know how to delete the information that you type in when filling out forms and such on my computer. For example, when asking for address you type first letter and the rest shows up. There is some of this info on my computer that I don't use anymore and I would like to delete it.

Thanks,
Jo from New York

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By john01/21/2008

Hi! It was a nice post. Here related to this I have one question. Where these keywords are stored? I believe It must be on our machines but where?

By Lise Deschambault (Guest Post)07/28/2007

I need to delete the information in AutoFill! Please help!

By glen brooks (Guest Post)10/30/2006

Why is my computer deleting my email addresses 2-3 times a week?

By Judith Pier08/17/2006

FOUND THIS YESTERDAY AFTER I HAD ALREADY BEEN HERE:

If you're using Internet Explorer (5.0 or higher), just go to Tools, Internet Options and choose the Content tab. Then click on the AutoComplete button. This will bring up a control panel where you can turn AutoComplete on or off for Web addresses, forms or passwords. THREE SEPARATE CHECK BOXES.

Just uncheck the choices that say "Web addresses" and "forms" to keep previous search engine entries and visited Web site addresses from coming up as you type in new searches.

In Firefox, go to Tools, Options and choose the Advanced icon. Under Accessibility, make sure the choice that says "Begin finding when you begin typing" is unchecked.

By Jennifer [9]08/17/2006

Jo
Thanks I was curious about the info too. I went to the internet tools, general and contents tabs and cleared both. I usually clear history but the Auto complete was a great idea! Better security. thanks for the question...And thanks to all for your responses! I learn something new everyday thanks to you all you thrifty readers! :)
Jennifer CA!

By Judith Pier08/16/2006

There are also Auto- Complete check boxes on several programs, Internet Explorer among them, that you can un check to stop this, also can clear if it is the drop down list at the address bar that is bothering you.

There are also Auto-Fill and Auto-Complete preferences in the Google tool bar if you are using that. Probably there in Yahoo and AOL tool bars if you are using those.

Most newer word processing programs have the same Auto-Complete feature that can be turned off.

Good Luck! JCP

By Nick-E (Guest Post)08/16/2006

When I use the internet... it does the same thing. Then I went to the pull-down menu on Tools, selected Internet Options, and on the Content tab there is Auto Complete. I select that ever so often and Clear History.

By Jenn [1]08/16/2006

Open control panel, click on internet options, and click on content tab. 1/2 way down the screen click on autocomplete. Delete info...

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]08/16/2006

It really depends on the type of computer, PC or Mac, and what browser you are using. Quite often the Auto Fill features are in the browser and you can find it in the Settings or Preferences. If it is email addresses, it might be in your email program address book. You usually can turn off autofill in different programs by going to the preferences.

I guess your first problem is to figure out where the autofill is coming from, then you can delete things that are no longer being used.

Susan from ThriftyFun

By Lewissan [31]08/16/2006

"Try hitting the delete key. Then type in whatever you want to replace it."

I am pretty sure that is what she is trying to avoid doing.

By Carolyn C. Cooke [17]08/16/2006

Try hitting the delete key. Then type in whatever you want to replace it.

By beenie (Guest Post)08/16/2006

you just hit your delete key when the one you want gone is highlighted.