Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp engine in my ride on mower that will not start. I have replaced the battery and starter, and have cleaned the carburetor. The engine turns over slowly as if the battery is low on charge (although I have charged it up) and there is a good spark at the plug. I have tried jump leads off the car, but it does not help. Any ideas?

By gd21 from Sunshine Coast, Qld

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Go to youtube type in cant start whatever model mower wont start and lots of videos will show you how to. All kinds of mowers. No harm in trying.

Also it might not be earthing properly when you replaced the starter motor and battery.

Answer

My Briggs Statton push mower won't start. I put fresh gas in, checked the oil and the spark plug. What could it be?

By Carol from Peachtree City, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Briggs and Stratton motor on my riding lawn mower that will not spark. Thought it might be the magneto and replaced it. No joy. How do I know I am not getting a spark? I pulled the plug wire and turned over the engine and put the wire next to the block hoping to see a spark, but I did not. Is there anything else to check to see if a spark is there?

By vincentb from Lakeland, TN

Mower With a Briggs and Stratton Engine Won't Start

I know this sounds silly, but did you replace your spark plug with a new one? Might be worth a try. (06/30/2009)

By hedera

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our riding mower will not start. It's a very long story that goes back about 3 weeks. In a nut shell, the engine has been rebuilt, carburetor has been rebuilt, we have fuel, we have spark, new battery, new spark plug, compression is good, the mower just turns and turns, but will not start. Timing has been triple checked and is perfect. It wants to start so badly (and so do we). Any ideas? It's a Briggs and Stratton model 31C707, Type 0603E1.

By starrah3 from Roanoke, VA

Inside the gas tank on a tube is a tiny filter and it plugs with junk, just buy a new one and put it on. (06/11/2009)

By Cheecky

I had a similar problem with my mower until I emptied the tank and put in some fresh, premium gasoline, then it started right up. It's worth a shot. (06/11/2009)

By Otis P Driftwood

I would check to make sure all "safety's" are hooked up, and if yours has a transmission disengage, make sure it is engaged. (06/12/2009)

By kwinters

There may be some water in your gasoline. Drain it and replace it with fresh gas (not from the same gas can), and try again. (06/12/2009)

By khaney2847

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mower has a 16 h B and S twin engine. It has fresh gas, new oil and good spark plugs. The mower will not start. Any ideas?

By alan2902 from PA

There's a dozen things that could cause this problem. Start with the fuel line, as it might be clogged. Could be the starter has gone bad. Have you checked your manual to look for trouble shooting ideas? Here's links you might check out.

http://www.westongm.eclipse.co.uk/Diagnosis.html

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Small-Engines-Lawn-1746/Briggs-stratton-19hp-twin.htm

(06/03/2009)

By Lorelei

Thanks for the help. I pulled the cylinder heads and found that I have one stuck piston on the left side and one stuck intake valve on the right side. Time to make repairs. Not sure if piston is stuck or the or the connecting rod snapped, I would guess the rod is the problem. Thanks again for the ideas. (06/03/2009)

By alan2902

My son thought he'd get my mower ready for me and over filled the oil. 2 uses and it won't start. I figured the spark plug was carboned up so I pulled off the rubber cover, unscrewed the plug and cleaned between the post and metal piece at the end (there's a gap). Use a nail file or emery board to remove the soot, and it starts just fine. I had to drain some of that oil too. (06/04/2009)

By siris

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 14hp Briggs engine on my lawn tractor. It will not start, it has no spark, and has plenty of gas. I have checked all of the safety switches. I have actually jumped them out and still no spark. Where else can I look?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Briggs and Stratton riding lawn mower, Model 42A707. I just replaced the battery. When I turn the key, you can hear the starter spinning...

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm working on a 12Hp Briggs which powers a ride on mower. It won't start and a compression test revealed it had only 7psi dry and 10psi wet. I've stripped the engine bare and can't find a single thing wrong with it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mower with a B&S (Briggs & Stratton) engine won't start. Per feedback from others concerning similar problems, I took plug out still attached to wire, there was no spark when I pulled cord.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 24, 2010
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 4, 2016 at 2:11:41 AM on 10.0.2.78 in 606 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.