Browsing: Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

Mower With a Briggs & Stratton Engine Won't Start

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12hp engine in my ride on mower that will not start. I have replaced the battery and starter, and have cleaned the carburetor. The engine turns over slowly as if the battery is low on charge (although I have charged it up) and there is a good spark at the plug. I have tried jump leads off the car, but it does not help. Any ideas?

By gd21 from Sunshine Coast, Qld

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Go to youtube type in cant start whatever model mower wont start and lots of videos will show you how to. All kinds of mowers. No harm in trying.

Also it might not be earthing properly when you replaced the starter motor and battery.

May 24, 2010 Flag

My Briggs Statton push mower won't start. I put fresh gas in, checked the oil and the spark plug. What could it be?

By Carol from Peachtree City, GA

Answers:

April 24, 2010 Flag

I have a Briggs and Stratton motor on my riding lawn mower that will not spark. Thought it might be the magneto and replaced it. No joy. How do I know I am not getting a spark?

June 29, 2009 Flag

Our riding mower will not start.

June 10, 2009 Flag

My mower has a 16 h B and S twin engine. It has fresh gas, new oil and good spark plugs. The mower will not start. Any ideas?

June 2, 2009 Flag

I have a 14hp Briggs engine on my lawn tractor. It will not start, it has no spark, and has plenty of gas. I have checked all of the safety switches. I have actually jumped them out and still no spark. Where else can I look?

By skynyrd57 from PA

Answers:

For those who can't get a spark; Did you make the sure the spark plug is clean - that the electrodes are not corroded or clogged with soot or oil? Also, when you tested for a spark, did you make sure the earth electrode was firmly pushed against part of the engine casing that was bare metal? If both of these are yes, then the next place to look is the coil that fires the spark plug. Use a multimeter to check that all the coils are okay. (05/18/2009)

By alloydog

May 12, 2009 Flag

I have a Briggs and Stratton riding lawn mower, Model 42A707. I just replaced the battery. When I turn the key, you can hear the starter spinning...

April 7, 2009 Flag

I'm working on a 12Hp Briggs which powers a ride on mower. It won't start and a compression test revealed it had only 7psi dry and 10psi wet. I've stripped the engine bare and can't find a single thing wrong with it.

March 11, 2008 Flag

My mower with a B&S (Briggs & Stratton) engine won't start. Per feedback from others concerning similar problems, I took plug out still attached to wire, there was no spark when I pulled cord.

Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 24, 2010
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 6:08:45 AM on 10.0.0.188 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.