Homemade Mousepads

Category Miscellaneous
Make your own mousepad for yourself or as a gift, from inexpensive supplies or materials you have around your house. This is a guide about homemade mousepads.

I picked up some beautiful tourism booklets at the local welcome center. There are all kinds of materials you can use for projects with kids. I suspect they would keep outdated stuff for you if you asked them. There were glossy woodland scenes in this one particular booklet, and the pages were square like a mouse pad.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

1. Tear pictures out and adhere to the foam sheets.
  2. Trim off the excess and round the corners.
  3. Add a quote or Bible verse.

You could also make matching pencil cans, book marks, etc.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Cindy:

I have a suggestion for the next time you make another homemade mouse pad. When you cut out the picture also cut out a piece of clear contact paper and cover the picture. Then adhere it to the sticky foam sheet. In this way the picture on the mouse pad will last longer without wearing out too soon.

Who knew? My pa did; he's 84. If you have an optical mouse and need a fresh mouse pad, all you need is a good magazine. It works like a charm and you can pick the cover page you like. This is really-kinda cool, I thought.

Source: My pa

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

I have a really old, beat up mouse pad which is now used as a coaster. It is large enough for a small bowl of goodies or just my usual morning coffee. I have been known to use a calendar for a mouse pad.

I hope I am not the only person on the earth who is unhappy with mouse pad sizes. Just in case I'm not I'll share with you. I have a place mat on the top of my desk for when I snack while playing Scrabble. I have another on my pullout tray where the keyboard and mouse are. It is big enough to keep me from running off the edge with my mouse.

This is what I need to do. Think I will.

This is one of my woven paper mouse pads. I cover the woven paper surface with contact paper to protect it from wear.

Mousepad with a cat fabric motif.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Mouse pad smudged and dirty? Recycle it! The hungry cats on this one are ready and waiting for the mouse to come and play!

A purple foam mouse shaped mouse pad.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Kids will enjoy making this cute mouse pad to decorate their desktops. A great study buddy that will be quiet as a mouse!

I had been looking for a long time for a large mouse pad, because my hand was always going off the regular ones. Then it came to me to use a stiff vinyl placement, several of which I had on hand. I have been using it for a year or so, and it works perfectly!

Here is a great tip to keep your computer keyboard area clean and tidy and save money too. Instead of wasting money on a mouse pad, go to the dollar store or somewhere you like, pick up one vinyl placemat and your mouse will still work out just great.

I've been needing a new mouse pad for ages. All of them that I saw were small ones that cost upwards of $6. I just replaced the old pad with a plastic place mat that cost $1.47 and it works great! The palm trees are very trendy, too.

Does anyone have ideas on how to make your own computer mouse pad? I like the ones that look like little carpets, but they are so expensive! What else can be done?

Lynn from Albany, NY

There is no science to making a mouse pad, it's just to keep down the wear and tear on your desk and mouse. Also helps keep it clean, some what. You can customize your own, just keep in mind you don't want anything that will give off lint. Cheap quick way - grab a sheets of craft foam and some contact paper. cut out a magazine picture of something you like, then glue it to the foam and cover the top with clear contact paper. cut to size and enjoy.

I use a small calendar I bought in the dollar store. Both the paper and cardboard side work just as well as the traditional mouse pad.

I made a mouse pad by recycling a torn plastic place mat. I cut it in the shape of a square and my 14 year old uses it on his computer.

You could also get fancy and put a picture on the place mat and then mac tac the mouse pad.

good luck.