Homemade Mousepads

Category Miscellaneous
A purple foam mouse shaped mouse pad.
Make your own mousepad for yourself or as a gift, from inexpensive supplies or materials you have around your house. This is a guide about homemade mousepads.

I picked up some beautiful tourism booklets at the local welcome center. There are all kinds of materials you can use for projects with kids. I suspect they would keep outdated stuff for you if you asked them. There were glossy woodland scenes in this one particular booklet, and the pages were square like a mouse pad.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

1. Tear pictures out and adhere to the foam sheets.
  2. Trim off the excess and round the corners.
  3. Add a quote or Bible verse.

You could also make matching pencil cans, book marks, etc.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Cindy:

I have a suggestion for the next time you make another homemade mouse pad. When you cut out the picture also cut out a piece of clear contact paper and cover the picture. Then adhere it to the sticky foam sheet. In this way the picture on the mouse pad will last longer without wearing out too soon.

Both ideas are great!

Who knew? My pa did; he's 84. If you have an optical mouse and need a fresh mouse pad, all you need is a good magazine. It works like a charm and you can pick the cover page you like. This is really-kinda cool, I thought.

Source: My pa

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

I have a really old, beat up mouse pad which is now used as a coaster. It is large enough for a small bowl of goodies or just my usual morning coffee. I have been known to use a calendar for a mouse pad.

I like both of these ideas, magazine and calendar.

Thanks, Marty Dick, for suggesting the calendar.

I often have pictures from a monthly wall calendar that I don't want to get rid of after just a month but I usually don't like them enough to frame them and keep them hanging on the wall either. This would let me keep them around awhile longer and they'd be useful as well!

This is one of my woven paper mouse pads. I cover the woven paper surface with contact paper to protect it from wear.

By Angela from Sault Ste Marie, ON

Love it!

This is beautiful! Too bad Father's day is over with this year, but for next year this would make an awesome fathers day present! Or, even a Mother's day gift. I know I would just love to have one of my kids make one of these for me. In fact, I'm going to make one with my 6 year old granddaughter!

Mouse pad smudged and dirty? Recycle it! The hungry cats on this one are ready and waiting for the mouse to come and play!

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

Wipe mouse pad with dry cloth to remove dust. Roughly cut fabric to fit mousepad. (Leave about a 1/2-inch all the way around). Press with iron. Spray on adhesive. Center the fabric on top, press, and smooth out wrinkles. Work fast; it dries in 30 seconds. Trim fabric so edges are flush with pad. You will need sharp scissors or a craft knife.

Optional: Treat edges with Fray-check if desired.

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

that is ADORABLE! thanks for the cute idea! :)

Thanks for the good idea! :)

I don't get it. What is it now used for? Does it now serve a different purpose, or did you just make a useful item prettier. It is very cute, just don't get what the new use is.

It is now a new mousepad. I've done this using "Wonder Under" and ironing the fabric on but the spray adhesive sounds a lot easier and less time comsuming. I will have to try it.

great idea

Thank You for a great idea. I have a mouse pad that

is a ugly color and I got it for 99cents as I would

not pay big $$ 6.99 or 7.99 for a costly cute one

now I can have a cute one too. I like your fabric

very cute.

=^..^=

Really cute and easy idea! You can personalize them by using fabrics that fit the user's personality or to match their decor (my daughter loves animal prints). Thanks for sharing!

Kids will enjoy making this cute mouse pad to decorate their desktops. A great study buddy that will be quiet as a mouse!

Approximate Time: About 30 minutes

Instructions:

1. Use scissors to round the corners of one short side of a 9x12 inch piece of craft foam and trim the other short side to a point. (Save the scraps to use for the ears.)

2. Trace this shape onto a piece of nonslip drawer liner and cut it out.

3. Create a face by tracing the pointed side of the foam body onto another sheet of craft foam. Add a curved line for the top of the face, then cut it out.

4. Draw and cut out a curvy tail from the craft foam left from making the face.

5. Glue the tail to the body on the back side.Glue the nonslip liner to the underside of the body, covering the end of the tail.

6. For ears, cut out and glue two foam circles to the centers of two slightly larger foam circles, then glue the ears just under the top edge of the face.

7. Cut out and glue on a black felt nose, add wiggly eyes (or cut out and glue on black felt eyes), and glue the face in place on the body.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Anonymous

So cute and what a great kids project!

I hope I am not the only person on the earth who is unhappy with mouse pad sizes. Just in case I'm not I'll share with you. I have a place mat on the top of my desk for when I snack while playing Scrabble. I have another on my pullout tray where the keyboard and mouse are. It is big enough to keep me from running off the edge with my mouse.

This is what I need to do. Think I will.

Here is a great tip to keep your computer keyboard area clean and tidy and save money too. Instead of wasting money on a mouse pad, go to the dollar store or somewhere you like, pick up one vinyl placemat and your mouse will still work out just great.

I've been needing a new mouse pad for ages. All of them that I saw were small ones that cost upwards of $6. I just replaced the old pad with a plastic place mat that cost $1.47 and it works great! The palm trees are very trendy, too.

I had been looking for a long time for a large mouse pad, because my hand was always going off the regular ones. Then it came to me to use a stiff vinyl placement, several of which I had on hand. I have been using it for a year or so, and it works perfectly!

Does anyone have ideas on how to make your own computer mouse pad? I like the ones that look like little carpets, but they are so expensive! What else can be done?

Lynn from Albany, NY

There is no science to making a mouse pad, it's just to keep down the wear and tear on your desk and mouse. Also helps keep it clean, some what. You can customize your own, just keep in mind you don't want anything that will give off lint. Cheap quick way - grab a sheets of craft foam and some contact paper. cut out a magazine picture of something you like, then glue it to the foam and cover the top with clear contact paper. cut to size and enjoy.

I use a small calendar I bought in the dollar store. Both the paper and cardboard side work just as well as the traditional mouse pad.

I made a mouse pad by recycling a torn plastic place mat. I cut it in the shape of a square and my 14 year old uses it on his computer.

You could also get fancy and put a picture on the place mat and then mac tac the mouse pad.

good luck.