Rising Costs of 3D Movies

Due to a recent a raise in the price of 3D movies you now are paying nearly $15 to see a movie in 3D in most areas. That's $5 more than seeing the non-3D version of the same movies. A family of four can save $20 by opting for the non-3D alternative.

Lewis from Port Orchard, WA

Thank you for this tip: I didn't know there was an option!

I live in a rural area of NC, 3D is usually not an option here anyway!

Is it cheaper to see a 3D movies during the matinee in the afternoon? My family almost always goes to the matinee showings or we wait for our local drive-in to open so we can get two movies for the price of one. You can also bring food with you into a drive-in unlike a movie theater.

Excellent tip, Lewis! We really don't need the treat of 3D to appreciate a movie ;-)

usspooh74, I am totally jealous that you have a nearby drive-in theater! I so miss them and the closest one for me is about 80 miles away :-( Even where I used to live growing up in Los Angeles the nearest one now would be about 40 miles (and an hour or more L.A. freeway driving time) away instead of only 4 miles :-(

Our local theater will not do the 3D versions, you have to have the expensive capabilities with the projection and then pass that on to the customer. As it is, it cost me $5 as an adult, my grandchildren are $3. We go to every single movie that comes out that is 'ok' for the kids to see. Sometimes we go twice--grandpa takes them again. Even tho we are a small community, we still get alot of national releases on the same day metro theaters get it. Does not cost us any more. And the POPCORN SPECIAL IS the largest bag of popcorn (gal size) and 2 pop or water (16 oz) is only $5.50. Add another water for the 3rd person, it is a bargain. Sometimes we buy the DVD when it comes out only after seeing it at the theater.

The theater also has daily trivia giveaway tickets on the local radio station and you can win every 50 days. So for people who feel they can't afford it, can go that way. Drive 30 miles down the road to the next larger sized town and you pay the $10 per ticket as well as the $6 for popcorn and $3 for pop.

The owner makes deals with several surrounding schools when there is a big hit movie to hold matinees to do affordable field trips earned. Might be popcorn and ticket for $5.

By the way, our family often volunteers to run the theater a night here and there, get to see it for free then! If it is a busy opening night I will go up 45 min before the first movie starts and volunteer help with concessions. Pay? Popcorn and pop. This theatre is well known for the delicious popcorn it serves. Anything to help keep theaters running and in the community and still affordable.

If you need the 3D, buy the DVD, take it home and then get yourself a new 3D TV.

We also have a drive-in, and it's great. They ALWAYS have at least a double feature, and often a triple feature for one price. You can bring your own snacks (we pack a cooler w/ our drinks, pop, our own popcorn and bring other snacks from home), we spread a blanket for the kids to sit on. The sound quality is great, because they put it through your car's audio system.

Many movies are coming out in 3-D because it is so profitable, not necessarily because the movie itself is better in 3-D. So don't worry that you might be missing out if you don't see the more expensive version. Checking the reviews before forking over your cash is always a good idea.

A Couple Enjoying Popcorn and a Movie in the Theater
Saving Money on Going to the Movies
Entertainment MoviesMarch 30, 2010
Two tickets to a special event.
Saving Money on Tickets
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Self Rising Flour
Making Self Rising Flour
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎉
🎄