Dry Pine Needles for Bottom of Cat Box

I'm currently living abroad where cat litter is twice the US price. My house is located in a small pine tree grove. As dried pine needles on the ground are available I decided to try them as a substitute for commercial cat litter. I put about three inches in the bottom of the litter pan.

My cat did not seem to notice the difference. The urine falls to the bottom beneath the pine needles and when I notice she has created a stool, I empty the entire litter box, rinse it with water, and replace the pine needles. It works fine and is free.

By Bettye from Chantilly, VA

Pets CatsJanuary 27, 2010
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box