Making Stone Tile Coasters

I need instructions on how to make coasters from stone tiles. I want stone tiles so they will soak up the moisture from the glasses. I plan on decorating the tiles with a decorative stamp (ink stamp). Do I put them in the oven? Do I need some kind of sealer on top?

By NanaMay from Mulhall, OK

Answers

Things You'll Need:

4"x4" slate, limestone or marble tiles, or ceramic tiles in a similar size

Penetrating sealer (if using stone tiles)

Felt or rubber pads, such as those used to quiet cabinet doors

Step 1 First, coat your stone tiles with the penetrating sealer, using and old rag. The sealer will enhance the color of the stone, as well as provide a protective barrier against possible stains. Let the sealer dry according the manufacturer instructions.

Step 2 Felt pads come in various sizes and colors. I used brown on these slate coasters.Next, attach the felt or rubber pads to the underside of the tile. These are self-stick, so just peel off the backing and stick them in place. For 4" tiles, I use 4 pads - one in each corner. If you are making a larger, trivet size piece, you may wish to also place a pad in the center to ensure stability.

Step 3 Now, look at your coasters and group them by color. You can either match the coasters as closely as possible, or mix the colors for an interesting set. Arrange them in groups of 4 coasters, and tie them together with a ribbon for gift-giving. Good luck.