Browsing: Recycling Tips

Recycling Political Campaign Signs

My biggest pet peeve around here is that after the election our city is littered with election signs and issue signs that no one ever gets around to picking up.

So here is my solution. Everyone out there in Thrifty tip land probably has had a yard sale or two so here is my deal, grab up those signs and recycle them for your next yard sale.

The ones that are just a plastic sleeve over a wire base can be reused by sliding off the plastic sleeve. Cut down a white kitchen trash bag and sizing it down to fit on the white frame snugly. Use big stick on letters to tell about your next sale.

The ones that are rigid foam board can be spray painted to cover campaign slogans and your info stenciled on instead. Recycling at its best I say.

By Debra in CO

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Or you could just reverse the plastic sign and use it first! Just use and indelable marker!

Great hints! I love them!

I agree. I own onedollarsigns.com an online yard sign site. I will try and relay the message to my customers on the site as well. I think it's a great idea!

In Johannesburg, SA is a job creation project where bags are made from billboards. Very funky and popular!

I heard that it is illegal to take political signs & re-use them! Is this true?

Wonderful idea! If you have enough you can tape two back-to-back (or really face to face!) for sturdier signs - and not having to show where they came from without having to block out the info. Also have two sides to write on, depending where your signs are posted. Where I live, we have pretty heavy winds quite a lot. It's amazing how many people will take just a standard sheet of paper and tape or nail it tip & bottom...the winds whip it over itself and even rips it down!

Political yard signs are strictly regulated by local and Federal law. To take and reuse one, unless you are the owner of the sign, is against the law. I agree with you all that there are way too many of them left behind after a campaign. But to be on the safe side, just leave them there.

Political campaign signs do belong to the candidate or group that made them. Technically it is illegal to reuse them without permission from the owner. Too bad owners are not responsible in picking them up.

Just make sure its ok to get the signs-ask local authorities. The campaign persons do own them. There is probably a time frame that you can get them if they do not pick them up.

Yard sale signs I am not sure about. I agree on your peeve too! Keep America Beautiful!

I am all for recycling/repurposing, but signs are purchased by the candidates, and therefore, are their property. In fact, in some states you can be charged criminally and fined for defacing signs. Your best bet is to call the candidates campaign office and request they be removed.

Recycling Tips, Man Helping Children Sort Recycling
Recycling Tips
Ederly woman
Definition of Elderly
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Generic Election signs
Recycling Political Campaign Signs
Yard Sale Sign
Making Garage Sale Signs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:10:49 AM on 10.0.2.136 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.