Freezing Leftovers

One problem many people have is getting a chance to eat leftovers before they go bad. One option is to freeze them until you are ready to eat them. This is a guide about freezing leftovers.

Filter Sort

Tip: Freeze Jar Extras in Ice Cube Trays

By Bella Swan 29 28

Saving the contents of a partially opened can; and other tips to use freezing certain condiments, spices and even garlic.

This one is really easy. Once you have opened a large jar of a product, usually it goes into the refrigerator, and sometimes spoils if you do not use it quickly enough. This applies to most canned goods, or other things that may only be used a certain amount of the time.

Why waste opening another jar, or buying more of that item? Get out your ice cube trays! This is a great solution if you are saving something like pizza sauce, tomato sauce, broth, salsa, barbecue sauce and many other items. Even cheese dip seems to work as well. We've tested most possibilities over the years and the only poor outcome was potatoes; mashed or cubed.

This also works really well with garlic. If you are like me; you may like fresh garlic, but it's a pain to peel, chop, and sometimes goes bad if you leave it in the refrigerator too long.

For each liquid item, fill up the ice cube trays about 2/3 full (each "cube"). put in the freezer and when frozen, pop out and put in a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer. Use as many cubes as you like, it's the perfect portion size and no chance of waste.

The garlic trick is to peel and wash the garlic, toss it into the blender with some water and then pour it into the ice cube trays. it's a wonderful way to have fresh garlic around at all times. Only one warning with the garlic, please make sure you put your frozen garlic cubes in a good container to prevent the garlic odor from mingling with the other foods. I don't recommend ziplock (odor still got out into the rest of the freezer). Now I use a glass jar, which seems to be working just fine.

All those left over sauces and broths can be frozen as well, with the exception of flour-thickened gravy.

I believe over the last 15 years that I have been using this technique it has worked with all items with those exceptions: gravy, potatoes. Everything else comes out just fine. So easy to reach for the proper amount without opening a new can.

By Bella S. from Forks, WA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tips for Freezing Leftovers

By Jennifer 11 18

I live alone, but when I cook I make recipes for a family, then put portions into small 1 or 2 cup containers and put them in the freezer. Then I take them out when I want them. However, often when I do, they are freezer burnt and I have to toss them!

I guess the containers I use don't do a good job of keeping the freezer burn out. I'm tired of throwing out food. How can I store these portions and not get freezer burn on them? Thanks in advance for your replies.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jennifer 11 18 Flag

Wow-- Thanks for all your clever ideas! I've got a meatloaf in the oven right now and I'll try a few of these ideas to freeze the slices and let you know how they turn out! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Storage Bags for Freezing

By Jane Wood 5

Baggies are essential in your kitchen. When bringing home those large frozen meat "specials" divide them into meal portions as soon as you get home instead of putting the whole package of meat in the freezer.

Example: Baggie up two porkchops. With a permanent marker, write (2) PC (abbreviation for pork chop). Do this with pork steaks (PS), hamburger (HB). I also cooked up my taco meat for the future and when I bag it up, I write TACO or T on the baggie.

Also when cooking spaghetti sauce, bag it up and write SS on the baggie, etc. Do this also with leftover SS and you will soon have another pot with all of your smaller leftover baggies for another meal! Happy Baggie Days.

By Jane from Paducah, KY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Save and Refill TV Dinner Plates

By Bobbie 3 9

Even though the kids are grown and away from home, I figured out a way that I could save a lot of money and we could still eat the meals that we've grown to love over the years. When TV dinners were on sale, I purchased a number of them. We used these dinners when we were in a hurry rather than eating fast food.

When done, I washed and saved the "plate". Then, whenever I fix a roast, I create TV dinners with some of the leftovers and create a beef stew or a casserole with the rest. The trick to doing this is to have a variety of dinners on hand (turkey, roast beef, chicken, or even left over casserole).

My husband figures we've saved a lot of money by not having to pay for fast food. There's also the energy savings because I don't have to heat the oven every day and the A/C doesn't have to work as hard as it does when the oven is on. If I don't want to fix a meal or if we're in a hurry, all we have to do is take out a homemade TV dinner and we can eat a good balanced meal that is seasoned the way we like them.

Just because the kids aren't here now, doesn't mean that we can't eat the good meals that my husband loves all the time. For example, if I fix a large roast beef for dinner, I'll fix perhaps 4 or 6 TV dinners with sliced roast beef and then get another 4 to 6 meals from the leftover beef when I fix it as a Beef Stew or Shepherd's Pie. That saves me from having to cook a minimum of 4 additional meals. It is a little extra work, but in the long run, it's not that much extra work.

Just make sure you place the "plate" in a freezer bag and make sure it's flat in your freezer to keep everything on the "plate" and reheat in the microwave just like the TV dinners you purchased at the store.

By Bobbie from Mesa, AZ

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Margarine Tubs for Leftovers

By Litter Gitter 156 568

I don't mean to be advertising for Land O Lakes butter but this little 8 ounce container has really come in handy for me. Being flexible, rectangular shape and having a lid make it the perfect container for me to use for freezing turnip salad in a serving size for the two of us. I am so glad that I did not put these containers in the recycling bin.

Yesterday, I cooked my first pot of turnip salad right out of the garden and prepared some to put in the freezer. After putting it in the butter containers, I placed it in the refrigerator freezer over night.

Today, I removed the frozen turnip salad from the containers and placed each cube in a cheap sandwich bag and taped it shut. They fit perfectly in the bottom of the gallon zip lock bag and there's room to add more. I washed the containers and have them ready to the next cooking.

Using Margarine Tubs for Leftovers

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Saving Small Amounts of Leftovers

By Chayil 5 72

Using leftovers can be tricky. The hardest leftovers to use are those in the in-between size. It's too much to add to one's own dinner portion, too much to throw away, yet not enough to make a full-sized meal portion.

I save them anyway, using in a zip-top baggie or a baby food jar if I don't have a container of the correct size for the portion. I freeze them if the food is freezable, too.

Later, I can take them out and prepare a mini-serving in whatever container makes sense. Soup stays in the baby food jar or tiny Rubbermaid-type container, while a thick spread may be put on a tortilla or lettuce wrap (use a flexible leaf, steamed in the microwave, so it won't break apart when wrapped); anything solid can be put into a baggie or a reusable silicone cupcake mold. (I also make meatloaf in these sometimes, just to have tiny portions.)

Then when it's time to prepare a box lunch for myself or DH, I take out several mini-portions of everything: meatloaf, tortilla, tiny lasagna slice, itty bitty leftover pizza circles that I've cut from a full-sized slice with a biscuit cutter, a teeny portion of salad, one or two fish sticks or chicken nuggets... anything that's small, or can be made small. I fill a bento box (do a net search on 'bento box') halfway with this sort of thing, then fill the empty spaces with grapes, berries, cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, slices of cucumber, and so on.

Tiny, cute food is fun to eat, and you can pack in a lot of good variety and good nutrition if you focus on smaller portions of good foods instead of bigger portions.

By Chayil from USA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Ice Cube Trays Are Not Just For Ice Anymore

By Regina Arlauckas 27 203

I purchased a set of 4 trays for $1 at my local discount store and have used them for all sorts of non-ice items. Cubes thaw faster than blocks of food in larger sizes, and store easily in zipper freezer bags. Just be sure to label the bags.

• Freeze leftover jarred tomato sauce that you won't get to use up right away. That way, it won't go bad, and you can thaw out just how much you need for a recipe.
    • Freeze leftover rice. The cubes can be dropped into soups, or mixed with other foods for a quick lunch for an adult or child.
    • Freeze the juice you drain off your canned fruit. It can be used to sweeten different baking recipes or in punch. A fruit juice cube in a glass of iced tea is quite tasty.
    • Freeze your herbs. To preserve herbs with a high water content, like basil, chives lemon balm, mint and tarragon, fresh freezing is a better option than drying. The herbs will become limp in the process, but their flavor will be intact.

Tips For Freezing Herbs

1. Harvest the freshest, heathiest leaves
    2. Wash and pat dry with paper towels
    3. Stuff 2-3 individual leaves in ice cube trays. Pack them in so that at least half the cube is herb leaves. (for chives you can chop them up and put as much as you want into each cube)
    4. Fill the tray with water. Make sure the leaves are down into the water, as best you can, and place in the freezer. (If you are planning to use them in particular soups or something, you can also freeze them in broth)
    5. When the cubes are frozen, remove from the tray and store in zippered freezer bags.
    6. When ready to use, toss the whole cube into your favorite stew or dish.
    By Regina from Rochester, NY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Freeze Leftover Broth

By Lynn 25 3

Sometimes a recipe calls for broth and you purchase a larger amount than needed. To avoid waste, you can pour the leftover amount into ice cube trays or a plastic container and freeze.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make And Freeze Leftover Soup As Casseroles

By Jess 132 773

I find that when I make a soup with pasta in it, the pasta gets very soft when trying to serve the soup as a leftover. When I have a lot of leftover soup, I will now put it directly into a casserole dish and freeze it. Then, when I need a quick dinner, I can take it out and bake it. I usually sprinkle it with cheese during the last 20 minutes of baking. It has always turned out wonderful and the family doesn't even realize they are eating leftovers.

Today, I made a throw together soup with odds and ends from the fridge: A couple of hamburger patties that didn't get grilled a few days ago, some chopped tomatoes, a partial jar of some spaghetti sauce, zucchini from the garden (I can't hardly keep up), carrots, onions, celery, corn; any veggie that I had on hand or needed to use up. I added macaroni and chopped basil at the end and it was very delicious. My husband ate two big bowls! I just popped the leftovers in the freezer and a weeknight dinner is covered.

I have done this with chicken noodle and other pasta based soups, and I imagine it would be good with a rice based soup as they can get too thick sometimes too. I thought of this because so many casseroles call for a base of cream soup. I try not to use much packaged foods, preferring to know exactly what my family is eating.

Let me know what you think!

By jess from Hillsboro, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Save Beef and Veggie Leftovers in the Freezer

By Diana 91 30

Experts say that the best way to SLASH your grocery bill is to eliminate the waste-stop throwing things out! Here is my way of salvaging the tablespoon of corn or green beans that is not enough to eat but I can't bear to throw out.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Freezing Leftover Lasanga

Can I freeze leftover lasagna? And if so, in what, a glass container, or plastic?

By Sonia I

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Litter Gitter 156 568 Flag

I would say, yes, you can. What I would do is refrigerate it to get it firm, then cut it into serving sizes. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and place them in a zip lock freezer bag and freeze. When you want some, take out what you need, remove the plastic wrap and heat in the microwave or a toaster oven.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Clip Lock Bags for Freezing Leftovers

By Carolyn 5 3

I really think that the introduction of Clip Lock bags (Freezer Use) are the next best invention since sliced bread! I usually go over the top and make too much of a particular meal/soup sauce (all the kids have now left home and sadly I still cook for 6 rather than 2!).

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Freeze Leftovers for Soup

By Carolyn 21 3

If a leftover food is good for a soup, wrap it, write on it what it is, and freeze it. Some things will need to be chopped fine before use, but add a lot of flavor.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Dealing With Leftovers

By Mary 4 20

When preparing soups or anything with leftovers to be frozen for later use, I save the excess in ziploc freezer bags. When the food is cooled enough for freezing, lay the bags flat in a baking pan until they are frozen.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Freeze Chicken Leftovers in Broth

When you cook a chicken and have leftovers to put in the freezer, store the chunks of chicken in broth to keep it from drying out. Your chicken will be nice and moist when you need it for casseroles, etc. By Katz

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Freezing Sauerkraut and Ribs

Can you freeze sauerkraut and ribs and for how long?

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Freeze Leftover Pizza Sauce in Ice Cube Trays

When making pizza, there always seems to be more sauce than we need, so I freeze leftovers in ice cube trays and take out one or two when needed. These are great for a quick tortilla pizza night. Just use tortilla shells instead of pizza dough.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Leftover food in containers in the fridge.
    Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversAugust 17, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Freezing Artichokes, Storing Artichokes, Canning Artichokes
    Freezing Artichokes
    Dish of mashed potatoes.
    Freezing Mashed Potatoes
    Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
    Freezing Pinto Beans
    Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
    Freezing Eggplants
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:51:18 AM on 10.0.2.175 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings